Annual Search for RHD '62 Clutch Pedal Commences.

It's the dead of summer and I am dreaming of resuscitating my '62 Beetle.

This "backwards beetle" is pretty similar to the usual US models, but the pedal cluster is a special kind of booger. The little hook on the clutch is broken, and having been brazed, has lost its strength. I need an NOS (dreaming) version of it or a really sharp used one.**

Anyone know of a source-? I have tried to communicate with some UK "breakers"--while in London two summers ago, I even killed two days looking for one. No luck; a Brit sent me one for a '66.

Possible solution may be to remove the hook from a Yankee version and have someone MIG weld it on correctly-(would this work-? steel hook, cast iron pedal shaft-).

Anyone here with an early RHD bug-? I think the pedal cluster changed around '63.

If anyone knows of a source for a nice OEM re-pop rubber front + back mat set** (with passenger footrest) in grey I'd appreciate a lead--

Thanks

Buzzy

** I can get VW stock numbers--too lazy to go to the garage right now.
Reply to
BuZzY

Got any pictures of the existing pedal assembly?

I may have a kinda sorta source,.........................But I also may not,...............Need to see waht I am looking for so I can at least give it a shot.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Buzzy,

The best way would be to simply have yours rewelded, it's a common fix (can be made stronger than orignal). I could send you a set from Australia but the cost of the purchase & freight would not be worth it (the secondhand one I could get would require a rework anyway)

Grahame from Aus

BuZzY wrote:

Reply to
Grahame Rumballe

I've never really thought that the RHD pedal would be *that* hard to find, there's lots of companies that would probabally be able to find and send one to you. Maybe not brand new, but a very good secondhand one...

First try VW Heritage, they usually have most things and will also ship to the US.

Another place that always had loads of good new, NOS, and secondhand parts is Status VW. I've bought several things from them.
And lastly, Karmann Konnection will probabally be able to get you one too:
It's best to send them an email (or even call?) and explain what you want, they're all very helpful! I'm almost certain one of these places will be able to get you what you need!

Is your car a RHD UK model?

Reply to
Howard Rose

I *think* VW Heritage do a RHD repo... again, you can try the shops I send in the last post.

Also, try Newton Commercial for perfect repos of the original carpet. Don't know if they do the rubber mats, but it's worth a try:

Howard Rose

Thanks for the replies--

The car was bought by a Yank vacationing in Europe in '62--he was a rural postman in Louisiana; bought two new RHD DeLuxes and brought 'em home with the intention of leasing them to the US Post Office. One car burned and was scrapped; mine was abandoned as a mail truck after a year and it lived at the local National Guard Armory for a decade, used as an errand vehicle. The aircraft mechanics kept the engine in good shape. The L hand seat and back bench were removed and stored; they fashioned a plywood shelf inside. (I have the seats.)

Finally, the owner's son took it to Texas to drive daily; I bought it in

1979. It's always been a hoot to drive, because many people freak out over the position of the wheel. I have told many a tall tale about its origins depending on the gullibility of the observer.

This is a great NG. Keeps my initiative alive for an eventual resto of this little car--

Cheers--Buzzy

Howard Rose wrote:

Reply to
BuZzY