Another heat riser question

Got her going yesterday after a new manifold, heat exchangers and muffler. She's sounding much better. However, there is quite a descrepancy between the right and left side heat riser tubes. The right side tube is way too hot to the touch after about 5 minutes. But, even after 10 minutes, the left side was just warm.

I understand the heat flows from the right to the left and the right should be hotter than the left, but I suspected the left side would be quite a bit hotter than I felt. This is a brand new manifold and definitely not clogged. Would the tailpipe insertion length have something to do with it on the left side? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks, John

Reply to
John S

Tail pipe insertion to an extent, actual silencer influence more. Most are not constructed correctly..

J.

Reply to
BergRace

Did you use a German muffler? Some of the Brazilian ones are missing the low pressure tube on the left side that exits near the peashooter. Hence very little pressure differential. The gaskets on either side are of different diameters as well, though I can't remember which side is smaller.

-Chip

'66 beetle, '56 ghia

Reply to
Chip Keller

Are you sure the left side is firing? I had the sames results when I mistakenly switched the plug wires on one side of my engine. The engine would run (and didn't sound to bad) but that side got a little warm (from the other side) and the other side was very warm...

Greet>Got her going yesterday after a new manifold, heat exchangers and

Reply to
<beetle_boy