Anyone use Sea Foam?

The FLAPS recommend using Sea Foam in the gas tank for cleaning carbs and injectors. I don't know much about it and hadn't heard of it until I moved here.

Any comments about it?

Thanks, Dan '73 SB

Reply to
Dan Smith

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 20:36:31 GMT, "Dan Smith" ran around screaming and yelling:

it, like most other "fuel system cleaners" are great PREVENTATIVE measures...if you have a problem with your carb or lines, the stuff can help but you run the risk of deposits being loosened and then causing *more* problems...i personally add fuel treatment to all of my vehicles at every oil change....overkill? maybe, but never had a fuel system problem on any vehicle i have had(some did at initial purchase, but they were usually clunkers anyway)...so the few bucks is worth it to me for peace of mind...and yes the good parts guys, and some mechanics i know recomend the "sea foam" over regular stp type treatments...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 20:15:50 -0400, Joey Tribiani scribbled this interesting note:

If moisture is the problem then buy additives that are high in alcohol as that will combine with the water and burn just fine in the fuel/air mixture. If deposits are the problem then try a couple of cans of B-12 in a half a tank of gas and burn it through. That will help more than STP or any other fuel additive that I can think of, although I've not had any experience with this Sea Foam you mention.

-- John Willis

Reply to
John Willis

Yeah, I don't expect it to be a miracle cure when something is wrong but nothing I know of is wrong so I'm using it as a preventive. Hoping it will loosen up anything that may have started to build up since I didn't buy the car new. :-)

Hopefully it won't cause chunks to break loose and block anything.

Thanks for the response Joey.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Smith

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 20:36:31 GMT, "Dan Smith" wrote:

I use it on my motorcycle to remove carbon buildup in the cylinders and stop pinging.. Just yesterday I did two *treatments*. A treatment is warming the engine, removing the spark plugs and using a turkey baster, squirt some Sea Foam directly into the combustion chamber. Let it sit a couple minutes, put the bike in gear and roll it across the garage to get some the excess out (to prevent hydrolock after I put the plugs back), and coating the valves. After a few more minutes, reinstall and torque the spark plugs, and fire it up, BUT NOT IN THE GARAGE. The can says exhaust will be extreme, and they aren't kidding. First time I took it on a 4 mile trip and most of the time it was like I was driving a diesel. Came back, let it sit for about 30 minutes to kinda cool off, and did it all over again. This time I took it down the freeway a mile or so to go get gas. Getting on the freeway, it was interesting to look behind me and see everyone move over to avoid the fumes, and one optimistic person tried to get in front of me, he did not succeed. :) Added half a can to the gas tank before filling up. Today I changed the oil. Yesterday was the first time doing the treatment, but I've used it in the tank before and it does help remove deposits and varnish that might have built up from letting a vehicle sit with fuel in it (like my bike when I first got it 2 years ago). If your car suffers from pinging, doing the treatment a couple times, and maybe even right before the next couple oil changes might help it out, *IF* carbon buildup is the cause.

Reply to
Jeckler