Where's The Smoke? - Sea Foam Cleaner...

I've heard the name tossed about a few times and people generally recommended Sea Foam as a good agent to remove carbon and so I picked some up today while I was at the auto parts store. $4 for a bottle so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I added some to my fuel and also decided to try the trick of pouring some into the intake/carburetor while the engine is running. I did as it suggested, 1/3 of a pint slowly, then shut down the engine and waited five minutes. The bottle mentioned that fumes would be heavy for a bit, and I also heard from other users of this stuff that the engine will smoke like heck for a bit.

Well, I got nuttin'! I started it back up and the exhaust was clean as could be... No odd odor, no smoke, no "fumes."

Tried it twice and waited about ten minutes the second time around.

What gives? Does no smoke mean that there was very little to no carbon, "debris" or deposits removed from my cylinders since my engine was pretty clean inside anyhow? Or does it mean that I wasted $4.00?

The car is a 1987 Chrysler Fifth avenue with the 318/2bbl *without* LeanBurn... Just a standard 2bbl carb now and Mopar electronic ignition.

Thanks,

-Steve

Reply to
Steve Reinis

So?? How's it run?? MPG change? Got some new under hood pics?

Reply to
Ted

Regarding the LeanBurn conversion, the engine looks the same as before with the addition of an orange box mounted on the firewall and a different colored distributor cap. I'm still using the original aircleaner with the LeanBurn computer attached to it because it's in such good shape and I want the car to appear stock. I kept the original carb and dizzy as well, so if I need to I can reinstall LeanBurn to pass emissions or sell the car.

I'll get photos once the rain quits...

Car runs smooooth now, I can definitely say that. Accelerates smoothly and with authority, idles without missing and chugging along like it was loading up... Cruises at 65 without speeding up and slowing down and shuddering.

I need to burn a half tank of fuel or so before I can get an idea of where my fuel mileage went... up or down, or stayed the same. I was getting about

18 around town and 21-22 on the highway. I'm hoping for at least 20MPG and I'll be happy as can be. It pings lightly under acceleration now, but I know that it from the advance being too loose... I need to pick up some original "tigher" springs for the distributor to hopefully fix that. The ignition kit I bought it actually the middle class performance package, but I got it for $99 on eBay!

-Steve

Reply to
Steve Reinis

|Want smoke? Its easy: | |Take off your air cleaner. Start your engine and prop open the throttle |for 1500 rpm. Start pouring Dextron III slowly into the intake manifold. | |You'll get lots of smoke. | |The theory is auto transmission oil acts like a penetrating oil to free |sticking valves and promote upper cylinder lubrication. Of course, that is |an urban myth but you would be surprised how many "professional" auto |servicemen actually performed this useless operation (for money, of course) |in my father's day.

I always used water, with occasional ATF (for regularity of course)

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

I'm not trying to be a smartass here, I was genuinely concerned since the bottle itself says to expect "extreme fumes."

Reply to
Steve Reinis

I've done the water trick, too, in the past on other vehicles and did end up with moist, sooty exhaust dripping from the tailpipe... so I know the water definitely worked...

So I guess Sea Foam is just another snake oil?

Reply to
Steve Reinis

Yo bud, the ATF 'clean' is most certainly not useless!

It will clean the inside of the combustion chamber like new.

If I am doing any head work, I do that clean first and when I open it up it is super clean which makes for easy inspections and easy head gasket changes.

I did mine a couple years ago for a head gasket leak and when I opened it up there were a couple loose chunks of carbon still laying around inside. They were almost 1/8" thick and hadn't gotten blown out the exhaust yet because I didn't drive it after the clean.

It also does 'wonders' for city driven vehicles that develop a ping or timing knock.

Mike

Nomen Nescio wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I used GM top engine cleaner to Decarbonise my F150 engine which is supposed to be similar to sea foam.

I used a piece of vacuum hose with one end attached to a plugged port on the vaccum tree and the other end in the can. Manifold vacuum sucks the cleaner out of the can. I didn't bother adding any cleaner to the gas tank. When I shut the engine off I waited an hour or so. Some suggest letting it sit overnight .

The bottle mentioned that fumes would be heavy for a bit, and I

At idle there was very little if any smoke. It only smoked when I revved the engine hard... a real thick, choking kind of smoke... The smoke lasted about 10 minutes or so. Overall the treatment cured a cold engine knock which I presume was due to carbon buildup.

Reply to
gil