anyone want a FI computer?

the computer out of my 71 fastback is just sitting there. I will be going to carb setup so it has got to go. are they worth anything? I would include the load sensor and wiring as needed. I have no way of testing this.

Reply to
Erik Litchy

it has electronic fuel injection from the factory. no lambda sensor though

Reply to
Erik Litchy

Type 3s, being the high-end models before the TIVs were introduced, had FI starting in 67 (I think, I'm too busy to check a book at the moment. Types 1 and 2 didn't have FI until 75.

I don't know what it's worth, but I wouldn't mind having that computer in case the one in my Fastback turns out to be wonky ;)

Reply to
mez

yoiks. I was (obviously) not aware of that. I'm taking both the FI system and engine from a 73 FB and putting them into a 70 FB, but I'd hoped I could use the 70's computer if necessary. I need to read my Bentley manual more thoroughly, but at the moment I'm more concerned with cleaning up the 70 and getting the useful parts off of the 73. The previous owner of both was a mechanic whose method of storing them was to fill them with old clothes and various junk and leave them in the woods.

Thanks for the advice.

of course, the computer I really need is for my 77 Westfalia which has been sitting at Percy's for nearly 2 years while I wait for Jerry to fix the doggone thing. I think the problem is probably with the FI system. oh well...

Reply to
mez

The 70 and 73 systems are quite different. You should stick with ONE consistent set of parts. It would be easiest to stick with the 70 because otherwise you have to change the brain, the pressure sensor, and the FI wiring harness.

Huh, are you here in Madison? Why are we having this discussion long distance. Give me a call if you need help, etc. I live about 4 blocks from Percy's.

-

Jim Adney

Thaks, but I left Madison when my employers ran out of cash and laid (virtually) everyone off. I'm now employed and living in SC. I wish I'd found you and vwtype3.org while I was up there, though, because my Squareback would probably still be running. The 70 is missing just about everything in the engine compartment except the computer and (I think - the P.O. closed the hood and I can't find the latch among the piles of junk inside) wiring harness, so I suppose I'll need to move everything over from the 73.

Thanks for the help

Reply to
mez