Re: Occasional no-start

> Hey VW lovers! > > I just found this NG a couple of days ago. I love all the info flyin' > around here! > > I have a question about my '75 SB. 95% of the time it starts perfectly, > barely turning the key and it comes to life. But there are times when the > key is turned and absolutely nothing happens. There's plenty of juice and > when the key is turned the lights dim a little, telling me the ignition > switch is functioning. But nothing happens... no click, no nothing. Then > out of the blue, it starts normally. > > My wife uses the car to deliver pizza's ( tips are bigger since she started > driving it...??? ) She needs a car that will start every time though. My > wife said she tried push starting it once with no luck. I'm thinking > electrical, but I'm not sure. > > Any ideas??? > > Blake

It could possibly be poor connections at the battery posts or an intermittent battery (internal). But, chances are the Ignition switch is failing.

If you don't find any problem with the battery/cables, try this test next time it won't start: Lift the rear seat and look for a plastic splice on the left side between a Red wire and a Red/Blk. Jumper this connection to the battery positive post. (Make sure shift is in Neutral!) If it cranks now, most likely a bad switch. Changing the switch is no picnic.

'75 is fuel injected. Generally you can't push-start it because the fuel pump won't be running.

There is FI info on my web site.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Leave the switch and add a 'hard start' relay under the rear seat. I did that on my '72 Super, and never had a 'no crank' event again.

Reply to
Masqqqqqqq

too late....

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

Make sure a wire isn't falling off the starter solenoid as this was my problem ('72 Super). I had to put another connection (taped it on), and it always starts now...this is under the car and nasty, so these wires must be tight!

Reply to
pmbedard

Here is a repost of what I did whan that happened to me. I got the hard start relay kit from motorworks.com .

I don't mean to shout but, I MADE AN ERROR!

I meant to say that I added a wire to terminal 50 on the solenoid where the red/black wire is attached with a push on connector for the remote starter switch circuit. So now, if it does not start, I just lift the rear seat, put the fuse in, and touch the end of the wire to the positive post on the battery while the key in the ignition switch is in the 'on' position.

And

I mounted the hard start relay inside the car, behind the rear seat in the luggage storage area where it won't get wet or dirty. I don't put anything back there anyway. Later I might get a metal electronic project box from Radio shack or somewhere and mount it over the relay to act as a protective cover.

I know this is really a bandaide on your elbow for the sore on your knee quick fix but, I didn't want to go through the ordeal and expense of replacing the wiring harness. I think since the wires are over 30 years old, resistance has built up in the wires and under certain conditions cause a hard start or so start condition where you turn the key and the dash warning lights come on but there is no click sound and the engine does not turn over. This relay elimintaes this occasional problem and makes it easy to start and allows less current to the igniton switch thereby avoiding the frying of the electrical contacts inside the switch.

Good Road!

Reply to
Josef

Replacing the starter is not hard. Get a good manual though, not just the Haynes. I can never remember the name of the good one...Bentley! That's it! The proverbial Orange Book! Much better pics, much better procedure descriptions.

If you're gonna nose around, look up under and behind the rear wheel, passenger side. That's where the starter lives! :-)

Reply to
John Kuthe

"John Kuthe" wrote

Unless he's in the UK, then it's on the driver's side. ;o)

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H.

ideas???

I agree with Jim that the terminals may be fouled, check the push on connectors at the starter. Is there any corrosion (green copper) around the push ons? clean and replace these if there is. Also check the post where the battery cable and ignition wire connect to the solenoid. make sure the copper stud feels tight. Take the nut off and clean the terminal and connectors. If the ignition connector looks corroded, replace it. I think that if these don't fix it, it may be your solenoid failing. Next time it does this, take a metal rod and tap the solenoid casing sharply (not enough to crack it and avoiding the connector end). Trying the switch again.

Did you notice if it does this only when hot, or after shutting it down unusually hot? It could be resistance in the ignition wire.

John

Reply to
dragoneyre

I won't put my nose in this one....

Jan from the "We Hate Hard Start Relays" -club

Reply to
Jan

Mine did similar. I found the problem was the switch. Holding the switch to start position, i sort of tugged & pulled at the wires going to the switch. It started. Maybe worth a try ?

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 03:39:33 GMT, John Kuthe ran around screaming and yelling:

please be more specific, this is a world-wide news group...the "passenger" side isn't always the right side... J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani