Back from the dead

1999 Honda Interceptor VFR800 and hydraulic lifters. I'll be applying everything I learned from my Megasquirt type-3 project to this engine.

That's kind of what I've been thinking for my next VW engine, but bigger, and MS EFI... my thinking is that the EFI could support a bigger cam too, with better idle mixture, so I'd go HUGE with the cam, super squishies, heaps of CR. It would be purely a play toy, so I'd use up most all of any safety margins and go all out :D No idea what to use for throttle bodies. The ricer crowd here is buzzin about "ITB", Individual Throttle Bodies, but that's what we have been doing with carbs for decades. I would think that is still the way to go, just a different way to meter fuel.

Been thinkin for over 6 years with nothing to show for it. Don't even have a VW in the US. :( The current engine has maybe 1000-1500 miles on it and still needs the last finishing touches to be perfect (Dyno tune). Love the thing, everything seemed to match and work well together. 90.5 x 80, custom cam with 310 deg advertised duration and total of 13.5mm lift at the valve, dual 45 dells... The heads are a bit of a limiting factor, I had to cheap out there as I knew I was leaving the car, and the country behind me for a good while.. They flowed 180hp at 12mm lift, not sure why the guy didn't keep going to higher lift, the graph was still climbing steep at 12mm. Guess he didn't think I'd go any bigger and I didn't think to tell him. The head porter said due to the "small" cylinder diameter, he somehow shaped the ports to turn the incoming charge to use more of the open sides of the intake valve, and less of the side where the cylinder wall gets close. Dunno about that.

We've built high rpm big cam 1600-1800 engines with valve pockets cut to the side of the CYLINDER before.... :D No data to show if it helped or not. Seemed a bit insane at the time and probably was. Not much meat left in the head but these weren't built to last anyway.

Max, if I ever get around to it, I'll pick your brain for sure :D

jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

This should get you started.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Awesome!!! Thanks.

jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Well that's it for now. Nice to hear from all the rest of you. I'll try to check back here now and then....

JH

That's a cool catchup John!

I have a softspot for old Mercedes too! I would love a W116 450 SEL 6.9 (though not a US spec one with THOSE bumpers etc). It's be an awesome talking point... especially when popping into the garage every morning for gas :-)

Interesting about your job - What company is it? WA by any chance??? I'm a tech in our local hospitals Biomedica./Clinical Engineering Department :-) We have 4 hospitals we look after that are covered by a WA Acuity system - in fact, I just got called out to it a 1AM!

I'm loving your workshop too! I built my second house, which started off in planning stages as a 2 story barn with parking and worshop underneath. I could have easily fitted 16 cars down there. Then I got married...... It has a large double now, but I did have 4 cars in there for a while. I've built a small barn, which holds my Transporter and mowers etc, but I want a large 3 bay - But I refuse to borrow money to do it, and on 1 income with 2 kids now, it's a little way off.

Hessisch would be AWESOME! There are about 13 Kiwi's going last count, which I think is pretty awesome! The photos they show are incredible. The palce itself loks amazing, but seeing all those vintage VW's in one place must get you going. It's just the right place for them too - like a movie set!

Good to hear what you're up to. Hang around!

Allan :-)

AllanW

The engine will be a 90.5x82 2110 with MegaSquirt FI, throttle bodies from an 1999 Honda Interceptor VFR800 and hydraulic lifters. I'll be applying everything I learned from my Megasquirt type-3 project to this engine.

Max <

Man, that looks awesome! The type 3 is very cool too - I always wanted an early one.

I was going to put a 250 HP subaru 3.0 into my Transporter, but that's been canned, as the deal fell thorough selling the 2.5 conversion I already have.

So now... I'm wondering about putting Megasquirt onto my stock 1600TP in my

1200 Beetle :-) I had an early MS kit, when I was building a type 4 turbo motor.

EFI is SO much better than carbs - the control is awesome and it's quite impressive how much fuel it saves!

Allan.

AllanW

Well, I'm getting around 30-31 from the MS/squareback. The 1600DP in the ba= ja gets 33-34 (in the summer) with an ordinary 34pic3. So carbs can do just= fine.

But Megasquirt is infinitely more adjustable once you get used to programmi= ng it. With my DCNFs, I was always waiting for another set of jets (at $8 a= jet) so I could try something different. With MS I can try 5 different thi= ngs in one afternoon just using a laptop.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Whaddya mean, she won't start? Have you spoken kindly to her?

Chris '65 ghia (lowered kiddie-car 2100 dual Weber 44 and a total PITA) '60 (Sept '59) fully original except for spade-terminal brake- light switch Kept in the Miami rain. Started just fine after cleaning points and 50ml of gasoline in the carb. Not bad for 6 years sitting in the rain... maybe I should change the oil ;)

snipped-for-privacy@stafford.net wrote:

car. One of

here and I

finally

took the

collapsed.

start. :) WTF?

good cover

leave the

Reply to
ChrisKlinger

clicked on Google

taking it to

Sunday...

again! I might

did have 7

another barn too.

house, once

Jeez - I hadn't thought about that detail... Hopefully getting remarried soon, and it hadn't ocurred to me that some of my closest inanimate companions might be banned.

Go figure... we let keep kids in the house and can't keep an extra car in the garage ;)

Chris

Reply to
ChrisKlinger

Ahhh... if the stuff is already there, you may be able to pull it off... I was still planning, so the plans had to change to suit the Mrs :-)

Allan.

AllanW

John, good to see you back.... I think of the "old timers" of Ramva often... the new fangled web based forums are just not the same.... Hope your health holds out, and you check back in!

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

years or beers?

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

WOW! What do I get for being too busy at work and not scrolling down to the newsgroups? Missed all the fun! It is great to see all y'all back! Old age makes us soft, that is for sure. Well, actually business meetings at multiple work sites and living in a climate with triple digit summer temperatures (in degrees F). Two needy dogs (Bichon Frise & Yorkypoo) go spastic when I leave them in the house while I try to work in the garage. I still have my '64 and my '63/65 Frankenbug and at least get out to go to the local monthly VW club meeting. I have been on the verge of selling the Frankenbug daily driver for the past 2 years. I want to focus all of my bug funds/garage space on the '64.

I hope everyone keeps up the threads. It was/is fun to see everyone's adventures.

KWW '63/65 Beetle - The > Whaddya mean, she won't start? Have you spoken kindly to her?

KWW

I'll second all that.

I do hang out on the samba and shop talk forums and I do take notice when the ramva alumni post. I've reached out to a few to alert them to the recent "reunion" that seems to be happening here.

But yeah, the web forums are different from this group. There isn't much talk on the web-forums about things going on in people's lives. Something about this group allows for that. Not sure why.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

ramva alumni post. I've reached out to a few to alert them to the recent "reunion" that seems to be happening here.

on the web-forums about things going on in people's lives. Something about this group allows for that. Not sure why.

We became a family. We cared about what's goin on in each others' lives. Who was getting married, who had kids, who was building a garage, who had hemorrhoids... :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Remember you? Hell, I often wonder about your disastrous Raby engine, and wish I had enough cash on hand to make a serious offer on it......though it does belong in the GTII.

Micah's 58 can't take that much...get er back going and enjoy.

Good luck with your health, I have had a few issues of my own along the way.

I'm currently in Missouri.

Gary AKA Gareth.

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

of Ramva

Hope your

notice when

them to the

isn't much

lives. Something

others' lives.

garage, who

Jan - I thought we'd buried the 'roids ;) Chris

Reply to
ChrisKlinger

the web forums are different from this group. There isn't much

lives. Something

others' lives.

garage, who

Jan - lemme know when they make the 'unpost' button ;)

You're right. I came back here after what, 15 years, and people _remember_ me, and welcome me back. This _is_ a family.

And you stand out as one of the few that got married - at least in part - through RAMVA.

May we all be family until someone posts "whatever happened to..."

Bob Hoover -RIP.

I'm happy to be back, and both surprised and pleased at how many actually remember me.

BTW - to any lurkers (if there still is such a thing:) Post. Be not afraid. You'll be joining a great family.

Chris

Reply to
ChrisKlinger

engine, and

it......though

along the

Gary - I hadn't made the Gareth connection. Glad to see you, too, are still here.

Chris

Reply to
ChrisKlinger

scrolling down to

y'all back!

business

triple

(Bichon Frise &

try to work

get out to

verge of

want to

everyone's

her?

brake-

points

sitting in

kit

posting

interruptions, I

and

and

time I

snipped-for-privacy@netfront.net ---

KWW - good to know your double-digit temps are in F (LOL). Jeez - double-digit in C or K would leave your dogs even more stressed ;)

Don't know when you came to RAMVA; don't recognize your nic, but i assure you, the pleasure's mine. Long live RAMVA, and everyone who bothers to scroll down ;)

Chris

Reply to
ChrisKlinger

Chris, Search back in the RAMVA archives and you should find my posts in the late '90s and early 2000s. Things slowed down as the '0x's progressed (for various reasons) but it is good to see that things are finally picking up and are cordial.

KWW