Ball joint replacement...YAY!

Hey all. This weekend, I will be replacing all 4 torsian arms complete with new balljoints from ac.net. I think I have a pretty good handle on the job, as I have had to dissassemble the suspension almost that far earlier to put in disc brakes, and I have adjusted camber myself before. I just wanted to check and see if there is anything wierd I should watch out for, or any stories anyone has that might be helpful.

Thanks!

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

I've never had much luck saving the mounting hardware for the sway bar. But they are usually OG and really crusty when I get my hands on them. The eccentrics (SP?) never want to come off the old BJ's without a fight. Also did you get new grease seals? They make them on Ureathane too, But I actually like the OG ones better. Oh yea, and when you pull them out of the beam: if they are grooved or have flat spots, you got more problems that you may want to address! Have fun! Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

Recently did the same on my '69 with stock drum brakes. Let's see if I can remember any gotchas.

Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is tightening the nylock nuts on the ball joints on reassembly. The joint wants to turn with the nut. Not finding anything handy to grip some part of the joint with, I took the hydraulic jack and alternated between lowering the assembly and jacking it back up to put sufficient pressure on everything to keep the joint from turning.

I think that was about the most frustrating (if you want to call it that) part of the procedure. Even though I forgot to order replacement seals, mine ended up being in fine shape. My '69 doesn't have a sway bar on it, so I can't comment on any problems or pitfalls in the removal and replacement of that item during the procedure.

Reply to
Malcolm

I have a new 3/4" sway bar with the steel band clamps secured by nuts holding it on, so that should not be a problem. If I pull *what* out and it's grooved or has flat spots, what will be many problems?

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

The ball joints have a hex unbrako female on top, you might have missed it...

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Torsion arms out of the beam. That means there is bad bearing/bushing issues. Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

you mean the camber adjusting nut?! That's only pressed on to the ballstud, and may not stop it from turning.

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

Nope, I mean the ball joint itself, the threaded stud has a female hex in it's end.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg