Beetle doesn't beep!

Our recently acquired 1970 Beetle Convertible's horn does not work. I've tracked down the problem: The previous owner did a body-off restoration and when he put it back together, he didn't know where the wires went!

So....where do the two wires attached to the horn physically go?

I've looked at John Henry's site and understand the theory. What I need to know is this: Exactly where does the brown wire from the horn attach and where does the hot wire from the horn attach?

Yes, I have tested the switch in the steering wheel and it works properly. The wire comes down the steering column and attaches to a spade on the steering coupler.

I have read about a wire that should come out of the steering box, but have not found such a thing.

Help me Ramva! (please)

Reply to
Al Gilson

does that spade have a woven metal strap that goes from the steering whel side over to a bolt on the steering box side to complete the ground? Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

The wire down the hollow steering shaft is the Ground. It connects to the rubber coupler bolt which joins it to the steering box gearshaft. The ground is actually completed thru the bearings in the box.

The Brw wire from the horn goes to the lower end of the steering column *outer* tube. The tube is insulated from ground by the rubber grommet thru the firewall. At the bottom end, there is a spade connector. You can only reach it thru the left wheel well.

Reply to
Speedy Jim