Horn Wiring Hell - Escaped

Hi,

As someone who gets a lot out of these VW groups I thought I'd like to give something back.

Thanks to those who answered my questions before on the horn wiring, and although no-one managed to give me a definitive answer, they helped get me thinking in the right direction.

Below follows a description of the horn wiring on my 1968 1500cc Type 1 (UK).

Basically it's is a negatively switched circuit as described at

the difference between mine and those I have seen described elsewhere is that the wires (current) run a different course.

The small brown wire that protrudes from the steering shaft runs through the collapsible steering column and then loops outside it onto a bolt that passes through the rubber disk and then onto ground.

The power for the horn runs from the fuse box down to the horn.

The second wire from the horn runs along side the power wire, connecting to a spade connector housed inside a plastic sheath which connects (via a brown wire) through into the car (in the area of the steering wheel) and into the steering housing. This brown wire connects to a bearing (looks like brass) which sits underneath the indicator assembly.

The horn switch connects the brass bearing to the ground and completes the circuit allowing the horn to sound.

If you want to bypass the switch and test the horn without the switch in place you can touch the brown wire that protrudes from the shaft onto the brass (looking) bearing. Do this with the ignition turned on and you should see a small blue spark and hear the horn sound.

Can't tell you how many hours I spent under the car looking for the phantom male spade connector to connect the horn wire too! (This it seems, applies to earlier models)

Anyway hope this helps anyone who might search the group using google (etc).

Regards Spike

Reply to
Spike