Horn wiring

Hi Ramva! At last i found a nice sounding horn. It is a dual tone mexican Hella, and it sounds beautiful, not like the wimpy stock thing that sounded like a motor scooter.

The wires on the steering column are broken, can you give me some advice on how to get the wires through there? Where should I get the power from to the horn itself? The wire on the column is a ground, right?

TIA, Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Depends on the year, but John Henry has a good horn circuit article:

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks Jim, The issue is on a '73 Super beetle. Is there an easy way to get the cables through there? Do I just run the wire from the horn to the horn button and the other one to the steering box?

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

'73 has a brass "wiper" contact strip under the steering wheel which permits rotating contact with the horn button. That wire comes out with the turn signal wires.

The wire down the hollow steering shaft connects to the rubber coupling bolt to make a ground connection thru the ball bearings inside the steering gear box.

If you don't have the brass contact strip under the steering wheel, I don't know what you will do...

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I guess you could thread the wire down the steering column and pull it out near the bottom of the collapsible tube and attach it like the older type of horn to the steering box (i.e. jumping the rubber gasket bit) . All you're doing when you push the horn button is earthing the circuit. I had to rewire mine at the weekend :-( Definitely get this job done otherwise when some idiot in an SUV tries to back over you in a supermarket you'll have to shout very loud!

--Steve

---------------------------------------- Aircooled flat 4 club South West UK

Reply to
tunafish