blinking alternator /egr lights on 82 vanagon

Weird issue. No alternator light when i start it. When i drive, the alternator and egr lights just flicker in unison............no pattern just randomly off and on. I checked the blue wire out of the alternator.................no voltage with key on...but there is a trickle of voltage going TO the alternator on that blue wire.............that seems really weird.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Vanagon Man

If no voltage on the Blue wire (D+), the alternator isn't charging. And the alternator can't get started unless there *is* current flowing out of the Blue wire from the dash light.

Van doesn't appear to have a fuse for those lights.

Fuel gauge and Oil light share the same common power feed. If they aren't affected, it may be an intermittent in the dash wiring itself. I'm not that familiar with Vans; does the dash use some form of printed wiring board? If so, I wouldn't screw around. Hook a 12V lamp from Ignition 12V to the Blue wire.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I am seeing a similar problem on my '85 Vanagon Westfalia. Did you ever figure out the cause for your '82?

- Alternator & Oxs Sensor light flicker on together above 65 mph Any clues to the problem? Thanks, Mike

Reply to
MJHart853