Brake fluid (old) as a rubber lubricant.

I treat my tires to a coating of used brake fluid. avoiding the road surfaces of course.

Reply to
A Veteran

When I was in the Army Reserves I looked after (amongst other things!) Motor/Generator sets that had a "rubber" coupling that coupled the two together. Being rubber it developed squeeks which we got rid off for months at a time by putting on brake fluid. Didnt seem to affect rubber in any other way. Cheers John

Reply to
John

I know some used car lots that used to use brake fluid to make the tires look newer on their cars. It worked. I used wd-40. Rubber gaskets and gromets (air shocks etc) respond best to petroliem jelly to soften and seal. Works great. Dennis

Reply to
Dennis

The reason rubber gets hard and cracks is because it is reacting with the hydrocarbons (smog) and ozone in the atmosphere. Applying hydrocarbon-laden chemicals may make it shiny now but it damages the rubber in the long term. You're much better off using glycerin to moisten and lubricate rubber. It's been used for that since before cars were around.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Greetings, For the last 30+ years(Geez, Am I that old...!) I have been using Mineral Oil (same as glycerene?)on all my vehicles rubber components, especially in winter,to stop the freezing of doors after a car wash in sub-zero weather. I have sold/given to the kids after 10-12 years and the rubber is as good as new. Just finished Mineral Oiling my new Pontiac Montana and my newly acquired old 74 VW Beetle....Try It , It Works.....and not expensive....

Reply to
LordPacal

I like that tip! ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

no one has mentioned the fact that brake fluid is also a good paint stripper !

be carefull with the stuff :)

Reply to
Tricky