Brake Lite switches replacement

Service manual says to bleed the brakes after replacing the 2 brake lite switches on my '70 Beetle master cylinder. Will I really need to do that? Thanks in advance for a reply.... Jeff

Reply to
JeffRens

Yes.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

and No !

I did a 69 withouht bleeding under advise from a local VW mechanic . Never had any problems. Just do it quick.

I am sure some others will hate this idea, but it worked for me !

Rich

Reply to
tricky

No, you really don't. Just have the new switch ready to put in quickly. You'll find that the fluid comes out of the MC so quickly that there is no chance for air to get in, and the flowing fluid fills the space in front of the switch as you start threading it in.

If you take too long, and let the reservoir empty, then you would need to bleed.

OTOH, it's often a good idea to flush an old system with fresh, dry brake fluid, just to clean out the old stuff.

-

Jim Adney