Transmission work

Hey RAMVA, hows it going with everyone? Just drained and filled my tranny oil yesterday (70 Ghia, IRS) and its shifting a lot smoother than before. Downshifting still grinds unless I rev up. My syncros are shot, right? I just called up a sort of local shop that does air cooled transmissions and he quoted me 650$ to go through the transmission and rebuild the thing (I don't know if installation was included or not, but it need not have been)! Can't you just do syncros without ripping too much apart (aside from the bell housing)? I might just get one out of a donor car or get it rebuilt by a real shop if thats what he wanted. AC.net had some rebuilt trannies going for 450 -- outright. Any ideas on what I'm going to be paying to get new syncros welded in (They do get welded in, correct?)? Anybody technical mind explaining how syncros work? I can't find much out there written on what the concept is behind them. I know what they do, but how do they do it? Thanks so much everybody!

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Holzer

Maybe this will help