BugMe videos?

Hello there

I have the Bug Me series on how to repair your VW Beetle on VHS. I've found all but one in .avi form on-line, and was curious if anyone had that one in .avi form?

I basically just want to watch them off of my laptop, instead of being stuck to my VHS and television.

Thanks

OldIron

P.s. I'm looking for chapter 8, I have the other 9 chapters...

Reply to
OldIron

Sorry, I do not know where to get them free online but,

you can buy the =91Bug Me=92 videos on DVD here:

or here:

. or You can buy one of these nifty gadgets here

or here

and copy your copyrighted VHS videos to DVD.

Besides =91enhancing=92 the video you can also use it to make copies. This is the device that I use, SIMA CT-2.

I use a DVD player and DVD recorder with the SIMA CT-2 device inline in between the other two.

I think you could also use a digital video recorder instead of a DVD recorder but, I do not know exactly how.

I have a lot of =91Bug Me=92 videos on VHS.

I used that SIMA CT-2 device to transfer my =92Bug Me=92 VHS videos onto DVD.

It works for transferring VHS to VHS, DVD to VHS, and for transferring VHS to DVD.

They will play on my cheap DVD player I got at Wal-Mart and they play on the Toshiba DVD recorder I got at bestbuy.com. but, they will not play on my pc. It is possible that I did not =91finalize=92 them correctly at the end of the recording phase. So, they may not play on your laptop but, they will play on a cheap DVD player you can get at Wal-Mart.

I read somewhere it is OK to make your own copies if you are backing up your old collection from VHS to DVD. I do not sell them. They are for personal use. I had to pay those people their money for the VHS videos so, I am not really stealing.

Do Not get this device:

It only transfers from VHS to VHS.

=20

Jim Ed

I'd like to help you out, but what you're basically asking us to do is point you to a site that offers copyrighted material illegally for download. Rick Higgins and his family produced those videos and owns the copyright. I know pirated versions are out there to download, but I just wouldn't feel right about posting links to those videos for anyone on usenet to see.

I have some sympathy for your position *if* you do indeed own the series on VHS. If so, you've basically purchased the rights to the intellectual property for personal use, you'd just like to have access to it in a more modern and convenient format. Seems like Rick ought to think about making a deal where if you can prove that you own legitimate volumes of his series on VHS he could offer an upgrade to DVD for a nominal fee (enough to cover his costs plus a nominal fee). That would seem to be fair for everyone. You might contact him with the suggestion and see what he says.

I just can't see posting a link to sites where you can obtain illegally pirated down loadable copies of Rick's work. I know that he and his family have put a fair amount of work into the BugMe Video Series and that booted versions on various download sites are hurting his sales. So much so that I hear that he has not been very interested in producing planned future volumes that have been listed on his website for years. Personally, I'd like to see some of those planned volumes produced and the only way that is going to happen is if Rick continues to see a return on his work.

Sometimes VW owners are our own worst enemies. We can be so cheap that we refuse to pay a reasonable price for a good quality product and then we wonder why vendors offer to sell us so much junk.

Reply to
Rusty Shackelford

BTW, here are the at one time planned but never produced five addition volumes of the BugMe Video Series:

Volume 11 - Suspension (rebuild and lowering)

Volume 12 - Convertible top

Volume 13 - Interior (headliner, ragtop, seat upholstery, carpet)

Volume 14 - Glass & Trim (replace glass, window regulator, door handles, vent locks & frame)

Volume 15 - Transmission rebuild

Personally I'd really like to buy Volumes 11 & 15 and would probably buy Volumes 13 & 14 as well.

Reply to
Rusty Shackelford

you can say that again... but "we" doesn't include all...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Yes, I know there are some (even many) VW owners that are willing to pay for quality product. I'd include you and several on this forum in that category. Unfortunately there are just too many who either don't know quality work or product when they see it, or they are just too cheap to pay for it.

Reply to
Rusty Shackelford

. Unfortunately there are just too many who either don't know

unfortunately

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Gents,

I totally agree on taking without buying. He/they put a TON of work and a wealth of info into each video!!!

I'll ask him about the DVD if I have VHS question.

I'm looking forward, if he does them, to getting the rest of them!

OldIr>

Reply to
OldIron

Why were they not produced? I'm building a 60 Ghia coupe and can use all the help I can get. There seems to be no info on replacing 1/4 window rubber, frame or glass any place on line Dave Daved&Confused

Reply to
dgrimstead

Heard second hand that sales of the first 10 tailed off after they showed up on various internet video distribution sites and the dreaded bittorrent. Kinda killed the desire to produce the final 5 volumes. If true, damn shame that a great resource for the VW community will have been lost because some people either just don't see downloading pirated material as stealing (it is) or they're just too damn cheap. I haven't heard that directly from Rick but heard it from someone that communicates with him.

I for one would love to see Rick go through a transmission rebuild as a video. That's one area that is sort of lacking in instructional material. Several VW Engine rebuilding videos out there to chose from (I have at least 3 and can say pretty confidently that Rick's is the best) but not nearly as many amateurs doing transmission rebuilds. Some specialty tools and skills required and most guys are just intimidated at the prospect of tearing into a tranny. Never done it myself but I figure if I had a BugMe video on it I'd have a fighting chance or at least be able to access whether or not it's something that I would want to tackle.

Reply to
Rusty Shackelford

I have known Rick, his wife, sons, and daughter for quite a while, I even stayed at their home in Fort Meyers, FL, one evening, had a terrific home-cooked dinner (you tend to appreciate those things after weeks of restaurant food) and even have a cameo in one of his videos (I think it was either the pan replacement or the convertible support rail replacement). Rick, and his entire family, have poured their heart and soul and savings into make the best damned video or DVD they possibly could for ACVW enthusiasts. They are some wonderful human beings, always willing to lend a hand to the needy, and it hurts me personally that someone would intentionally rip off such a fine family, and literally take food off their table. Whoever you are, SHAME ON YOU. Rick Higgins and family are part of the cure, and you are part of the damned problem. There's more I would like to say to the RIPOFFS that have done this, but this post would be deleted in nanoseconds if I told you how a REALLY feel.

Dave Cormack

Reply to
kaferdave

Really, and I mean REALLY, dissappointing to hear that the remaining volumes might not now be produced. I've been hanging out for them as each and every one of the others were so excellent and helpful. You can read manuals all day and all night but nothing compares to watching the procedure being performed right in front of your eyes (in my case, often over and over again...). I don't believe I would have had the courage to attempt to maintain my VW without the help of Rick & Co. and the BugMe series (which I bought and paid for BTW...).

I'd happily pre-order the remaining volumes right now.

Reply to
Dangermouse

Well, keep in mind that what I heard was 2nd hand. So, it might not be true. But those remaining videos have been posted on the bugmevideo website for years now without any updates. I'd love to hear that Rick is in fact working on releasing the rest since I'd probably buy every last one of them (including the one on convertible tops even though I don't own a convertible). Like you I'd be willing to pre-order.

Reply to
Rusty Shackelford

Gents (and possibly ladies),

Well, as I have a legitimate set of the tapes, I was only looking to change the format. I'll be grabbing the video software referred to earlier and doing this myself, when time permits. As to Dangermouse, I'm with you that I would gladly pre-pay for them! Rick needs to put up a 'credit card' or check commit page and see what the interest really is! I know I'd be there!!!

OldIr>Really, and I mean REALLY, dissappointing to hear that the remaining

Reply to
OldIron

Oh, and I forgot to add, the only music I don't worry about getting without paying for is when the artist is dead or if I already have the same in another format (78rpm, wire-recording, reel-to-reel, 33

1/3rpm, tape or CD). OldIr>Gents (and possibly ladies),
Reply to
OldIron

Try sending them an email, I'm pretty sure you can get a good deal on the DVD format copies.

Karls (yes, it's been a l> Gents (and possibly ladies),

Reply to
Karls

Hey Karls, where have you been?

:)

Jan

Karls wrote:

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Dave,

Since you know Rick why don't you ask him if he plans to release any new volumes anytime soon? If he's taking votes on which volumes to do first I say Volume 15 (Transmission Rebuild) and Volume 11 (Suspension) in that order.

Reply to
Rusty Shackelford

I haven't talked with Rick in over 5 years, he is one of those poeple that I unfortunately kinda lost contact with when I departed the VW scene. I just know how much forethough, work, editing, and etc he and his family went through (He was the mechanic, one son was the camera guy, another son was the take copier/internet guy, and his daughter and wife ran the Office/Shipping & Receiving/questions and answers about shipping, which volume was which, etc. As I said, it was a total family affair, and a nicer family, you'll never ever meet. It's kinda like the online battle I had with some German folks over them steaing the design of a wheel, of a great friend of mine, and making that wheel without so much as a by-your-leave to the designer. It irritates the HELL out of me, when someone who does nothing, profits off of someone who has invested a ton of work and time into something. I know Rick used to be snipped-for-privacy@aol.com, but again, my info is pretty old, 5 years at least. Just because I am 99% out of the VW scene, doesn't mean I don't have friends into it, still. And when their sole livelihood is jeporadized by someone, I tend to get a little testy.

Reply to
kaferdave

I didn't realize that you had departed the VW scene, though I did notice that I hadn't seen you around for a while. That's a shame, you were an asset to the community and hobby. In any case, I know, that one day, you'll be back. :-). I left VWs for about 15 years at one time but I always had a soft spot in my heart for the little cars and would take special notice whenever I saw one on the road. One day I saw one on the side of the road for sale and ended up dragging it back home.

Reply to
Rusty Shackelford