Bus title

Anyone have of know anyone parting out a late 50's bus? I have a 58 that I want to restore but have no papers for it as it was abandoned. My insurance company isn't helping me out much either, they can't find the last registered owners either. I hate to see the bus go to waste if I can't register it.. Anyone know of anyway I can get ownership? I was hoping to find someone with ownership to one they are parting out and transfer it to this bus, I know it's not legal but I'll go to lengths to save a bus.. HELP!!!

Reply to
MicroBiz

Try calling up your local DMV/BMV/Whatever and asking them. Usually they scan a vin and if nothing comes up (ticket wise...etc) you can register it. Try running a carfax on it, although I dont know if anything would show up considering the age of the vehicle. Best of luck,

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Holzer

Don't even think about falsifying Title info.

DO ask your state officialdom about what rules apply. There are 50 states and 50 different sets of rules on how to claim ownership.

Nuff said?

Reply to
Speedy Jim

FWIW:

Try registering and insuring it as a kit car and just make up a number.

The vin on my buggy comes back from the insurance company and the DMV as a '95 BMW. The buggy is based on a '66 type III frame. We just changed the first 3 digits of the number from 316 to 366 and it showed up as a '74 Dasher, put a stated value on it and since it didn't show as stolen, eveybody was happy. Here in Alabama, anything older than '74 doesn't need a title.

You might also be able to do a salvage title depending on the laws where you are.

< TC
Reply to
tcrdn11

He said he'd go to any lengths. There's the answer, move to Alabama!

-- Christian '71 Bus -- Turtle

Save Darfur --

Vision (Darfur) --
(Sudan) --

Christian M. Mericle

But if you insist on going that route, there's someone on this group who could give you some pointers on how to go about it. That person knows who they are and will offer help if he feels like it. :-)

Reply to
Shag

You don't have to get too desperate and move to Alabama. Just go to

and get your ownership papers. It cost's you $149 for a vehicle manufactured before 1975. However, their website states: " We CANNOT work with any vehicles in Alabama, Alaska, California, Georgia or Hawaii under ANY circumstances. " Neil

ICC (Sudan) --

Neil

> ICC (Sudan) --

Ben Boyle

know what the issues are there. I know if the

..............NY doesn't title older vehicles. All you need to get one registered is a bill of sale from the previous owner.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Reply to
Ben Boyle