electric beetle or bus?

Has anyone ever tried to make an electric bus or beetle? I know it would require some "out side of the box" thinking. Just curious. David

Reply to
D&LBusch

My Father found an abandoned 67 bug ( in Oneonta New York) that had been converted to electric.someone had replaced the old air cooled with an aircraft generator-this guy had to have been some kind of electrical genius or something with all the modules and relays connected to it. The car was sitting in a field with 4 flat tires and the weight of all the 12 volt batteries under the trunk and in the old backseat area had pressed the car into the ground-this allowed full ground contact,so the car was entirely rusted out,although we managed to salvage quite a few good pieces off it. Never saw the car run though. I have seen an electric conversion beetle driving around at a VW show in Englishtown NJ.

Reply to
fred67bug

If you google "voltsporsche", you can find info about a kit for converting a Porsche 914 to electric. I don't know how much would be applicable, but (at the very least) the bits to mate the motor to the transmission should be useful.

Reply to
Roger Ivie

There was a white and yellow electric splitty bus at the last Bug jam in florida and I also remember a blue and white splitty that was electric powered in Florida also.

Mario Vintage Werks Restorations

Reply to
Kafertoys

My buddy is making one out of a '73 standard as we speak. He's basically an engineer, and is designing and building it without a kit or specific manual. I'll post progress reports as they come along.

-Brian G.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
BrianTheDude