Cam shaft question

Hi,

When VW changed to the dog house fan housing did they still retard #3 cylinder (on the cam profile I guess?) or are all the cylinders timed the same? The reason I ask is because I noticed my dizzy drive shaft is 90' more advanced than it should be when #1 cylinder is firing....yet another c*ck up by whoever had the car before me!! I don't fancy chancing the shims going AWOL if I try to rectify this!

TIA,

--Steve

Reply to
tunafish

No, the #3 retard disappeared even before the appearance of the doghouse (can't remember exactly what year). So, moving the distrib around won't have any effect on timing.

There *is* one small issue with lube for the distrib shaft though. The shaft housing which goes into the case has a small opening to allow oil to get splashed in. That can be blocked off by the case if the distrib is turned too far from "normal" position.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks, I was going to turn the dizzy around 90' but the vacuum advance won't allow it - but since the timing is the same on all four cylinders I won't need to. Drive shaft was wet when I took it out so hopefully the shaft won't wear out before the engine.

--Steve

Reply to
tunafish

Speedy Jim chime in here if I'm wrong, but isn't the retardation of #3 done via the dizzy's internal cam?

Reply to
jjs

Yes, you're correct; I think that's the cam he meant...

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

the #3 retard was achieved with DISTRIBUTOR cam (Shaft lobes) grind being non-symmetrical.

It has nothing to do with the camshaft.

It doesn't matter much if the distributor drive gear is off by tooth or two, as long as you still have enough room to turn the dizzy so that the rotor can be aligned with the mark on the dizzy body when #1 cylinder is at TDC...

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson