CB- TYPE 4 replacement carb?

Im new. This motor is on my Barry's mini-T 4 seater. I have a "CB" motor with a single carb / with 4 intake tubes. The carb is in less than "good" shape, I don't know when this was last rebuilt. It runs ok (70MPH is as fast as i push it) but has a few flat spots (transitions from 1-2, 2-3). I have access to a newish' Webber 40MM carb. Can this carb work on this engine? Is there a manifold/intake set-up that would work with this engine.

Second question. Cost VS performance. I dont think I need a much performance out of this engine (parades , grocery getter and some highway driving). Should I just rebuild the motor myself or spend the cash and have it rebuilt/tuned professionally. Is this going to break the bank on a 1.7 Type 4. All my "friends" suggest I ditch the engine and go with a type one crate...I like the existing engine and don't understand why...it would apear it just a good rebuild. Are they right?

thanks.scorch

Reply to
scorch

ilambert

Gets costly if you replace the P&C and go with larger ones --- why not just hone and re-ring and do a valve job? Stock it was like 76 hp which isn't bad. If you have to split the case ya may want to go with a hotter cam. But even the lower ends rarely need to be redone save maybe if used in a heavy bus for many miles.

Reply to
Wolfgang