Changing Generator brushes in the car.

yep, they got too short. In my infinite wisdom , I thought oh, I'll just move the spring to the side and sprong! off it went. Twas a sunny day. la dee dah. what is the best way to change brushes with the engine in the car? TIA

Reply to
Lamumba

Use a length of thread to "hook" the spring and hold it out of the way while you R&R the brushes.

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

Also use a piece of thin wire or thread to secure the spring to something solid so it won't get lost while working on it.

New springs are not easy to find so you can't afford to lose them.

I've lost two as I didn't learn from the first time.

*SPRoinnnnnggg* says the spring and then it's somewhere, usually not to be seen ever again.
Reply to
Tuomas

well, I did manage to sprong the spring off it's "tab" but I happened to have a little magnet to retrieve it. getting it back on was the trick. I guess in hindsight I should have moved the spring off to the side the other way. to avoid it coming off the fixed point. No?

Reply to
Lamumba