406 1.9 TD COLD START device

Gents

This diesel engine is fitted with a cold start device operated from a vacuum switch which then operates a Bowden cable to move a leaver on the diesel pump.

My questions are.

1) What does this device actually do 2) When should it operate ( I may be a bit niave here knowing the name) 3) How is the cable adjusted to operate correctly.

The device is of very poor design as the Bowden cable contains no nipples on the ends. Hence due to the strong vacuum and the fact that it is only the plastic on the outer sheath that holds the outer cable from moving, after a number of years the business end on the diesel pump nolonger moves the leaver.

Mike

Reply to
MICHAEL ROCHE

Hi,

It should raise the idle speed,

You say vacuum operated, strange, all XUD's I've seen were temp-operated, does this car have aircon ? It should operate when cold, and being released when the engine warms up. I imagine it also raises the idle speed when the aircon is turned on.

According to my 205D service manual, with a warm engine, pulling the cold-start cable should result in an extra 200RPM on the idle speed. If the value may be different, it should be the same method for 1.9TD. Perhaps it is given in the HBOL (I don't know this book of lies).

HTH, G.T

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Thanks GT My 406 has air con and the cold start device seems to operate all time the air con is on raising the RPM from 950 to 1150. . The vacuum is provided from the servo vacuum pump and then there is a switch which I guess is controlled from the engine ECU.

Reply to
MICHAEL ROCHE

Hello Michael,

So I had a good supposition :-)

I don't think there's an engine ECU on these models (1.9TD, old-school Diesel, but nice), perhaps a little electronic box for dashboard / "comfort" systems though. I've seen this system of vacuum-controlled cold start system incidentally last week on an aircon fit to a Megane 1.9D, so I asked you.

Anyway, the cold start setup *must* be done when the engine is warm. I guess you could report to the HBOL for good revs values (warm idle, revs increasement when lever pulled).

Last idea : move on for a HDi, as this is fully controlled by electronics - nothing to do, LOL :-)

Regards, G.T

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Dont trust a computer. they go wrong.

Reply to
Chris

electronics -

Are you really prepared to trust a computer to that extent?

Reply to
Brian

Hi,

I usually don't, especially on CAD purposes, but for an idle speed I'd say yes ;-)

Regards, G.T

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Hi Chris,

And in the other hand, so are humas, so what ? :-)

Regards, G.T

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T