Compufire with 09 distributor opinions?

I was getting ready to order some supplies for the next time I need to tune up my bug and came across these Compufire points replacements. I was wondering if anyone here has first hand experience with them? Any unforeseen side effects like problems timing the engine, etc? Is it easy to adjust the dwell with them? They should last a long time since there is less mechanical wear, eh?

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Use the Compufire or Pertronix with a stock dizzy, they will not get rid of the off idle stumble used with a 009.

J.

Reply to
Berg

The 009 is just a crap-shoot. You might get lucky by messing with the springs, or not. It is not worth messing with it.

Reply to
2

Michael Cecil ha escrito:

As long as you make sure to connect the wires correctly (red is +, black is -, ask me how i know). They should work great. The advantage is that you don't have to adjust/change points or condenser. So, it's really easy to set the dwell (ie. you don't have to do it). They should last a lot since there is NO mechanical wear, but, any electrical mishap can ruin them.

The 009 is a nice dizzy to have around, you may have the flat spot or you may not, it depends on your luck, the alignment of the stars, and if you did brush your teeth the day you bought it. Nevertheless, you'll never know what you've been missing until you try a SVDA.

hope this helps, Karls

Reply to
Karls

My thoughts on those...

My '66 had a petronix with a 009. when I bought it. worked fine for a week. then it just died. could not get the thing to fire right. it died in the middle of traffic. went home yanked it out and put in points and condenser... it fired right up and has run strong for the last 4 years. ok so I have to replace and adjust the points every now and then. and I can replace the points on the side of the road and I'm off in a jiffy.

personally i will stick to points and condenser.

and like the others say... 009's are a crap shoot.

dw

Reply to
dragenwagen

Well, thanks for all the input guys. I was just asking about the Compufire not the 009 really, since I've had the 009 for 20 years and it's never given me any problems.

So one for and one against the compufire type system and two against 009s. Hmmmm...

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Thanks for the advice Jan.

Properly prepped and modified? Any online references to this procedure?

Hmmm, I wonder why Aircooled.net sells the Compufire. John usually sells the better items, I thought. Anyhow, I'll look into the Pertronix I guess but maybe just sticking with normal points is a more reliable solution.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

i've got a pertronix that i bought when they were first introduced...been working fine all these years....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I'll have to ask them about that, I guess. Thanks again.

Reply to
Michael Cecil