heater channel question

Howdie again.

I have gotten as far as removing all paint from around the heater channel to remove spot welds and the like. Now what do I do with the pipe that delivers the heat? Is there a way to reuse it? is there a way to remove it without cutting it? If I do have to cut it, where do I cut?

Thanks. I couldn't do this job without the aid of the bug-me video and this newsgroup.

Reply to
zigford

The Y pipe? yes you can get it out with out destroying it. If you have the body off, its simple. Take out the 2 10mm bolts from underneath the rear package tray and it comes right out. You replacing the heater channels? then you have come to the right place. Although my '69 is long gone.... this is how I replaced a heater channel in my bug:

dragenwagen

dragenwagen,

I read your story recently and really feel for you and your family. I also purchased the Bug-Me video. So between it and this NG I rekon this task is going to be a piece of cake :)

Reply to
zigford

Dragenwagen, Will this work on a 63? I can't find the "10mm bolts". I can see a weld beed all the way around the pipe underneath the rear package tray.

Reply to
zigford

Hmmmm maybe so... I cant remember when they started with the bolts... There is a piece that bolts into the body under the package tray alteast on my 69. my 68 had the same thing. i havent looked at my '66 but im sure they are there. these are the ones on my '69:

If you have these they will crack and break apart, and there is a gasket that will fall apart. especially if you try to wrestle the Y pipe out on the later models. And I dont know it you can really get the bolts out unless the body is raised up some. the rear torsion housing is inthe way.

dw

Reply to
dragenwagen

There are definately no bolts there on my 63. There is clearly a weld bead all the way around.

I have a feeling that my new heater channel won't have any heat pipe in it anyways so I might just cut it off.

Cheers anyway.

dragenwagen wrote:

Reply to
zigford