electronic ignition

would you guys give me your opinions on electronic ignition units and what you think the best for the buck. There are a lot of new types for sale and I don't know if the big spread in dollars has any basis besides country of origin. Dennis

Reply to
Dennis

are you talking about a true (full) electronic ignition, or just points replacements? if points replacement modules are your thing, i really like the pertronix...haven't tried the later pertronix 2, but the original is very reliable and hasn't let me down yet...been running the same unit for about ten years or so...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Points replacements... I agree on pertonix and have that unit in my bus. The old, old module on the puma died and I want to replace it. I noticed the pertonix had taken a huge price increase and a few on Samba that were about half priced but a no name unit and I'm not familiar with them. The old unit on the puma had a box that says universal pointless ignition so that is the very old style which I had mounted it on top of the fan cover. It was it's time.

Reply to
Dennis

I put a Hot-Spark ignition in my 1972 Bug and have been very happy it starts so fast you can't hardly hear the starter turn the key and its running no flat spot very smooth cost me $47.00 delivered

Reply to
Bearing1

Thanks, where did you buy it? Any other units tested by the group in their vw's?

Reply to
Dennis

Reply to
Bearing1

I installed pertronix this spring. I have a 71 Std type1. Dual Vacuum dist. The Pertronix works great. easy install. I can't believe I didn't do this earlier. About 70.00 US.

Reply to
Jakalope

Have run two different electronic units in my Bug.

First was an Empi Accu-Fire unit and the second was a Compufire, both for the stock '74 single vacuum adv distributor. The Empi looked exactly the same as the Compufire unit except it didn't come in a box (it came in a simple clear plastic bag) and was missing the Compufire sticker. Installation was exactly the same.

The first unit lasted about a month before dying. I can't completely blame the unit... it died because the flat plastic disc that holds the magnets came loose and started grinding into the top of the unit (made from epoxy). It dug thru to the circuits below.

The flat disc fits over the cam lobes that the points ride on and under the rotor. One of the things that are not described in the instructions is that this disc raises the height of the rotor enough that you are required to grind off the bottom of the rotor. A few seconds w/ coarse sandpaper on a flat surface is enough. But if your grind off too much or don't square off the bottom, the disc can some loose and wobble. I believe this wobble caused the disc to grind into the top of the unit.

Once installed properly and having re-adjusted the timing, these little things keep reliable timing and lots of dwell time.

One other thing that I should mention. If your VW is old and you can't maintain a constant voltage to the coil when cranking you may have problems w/ electronic units. Remember that these things run off electricity. There is an extra 12v(+) lead from the unit that must be powered. In my case, a weak battery meant that the car would brank but wouldn't start. Less than 10v and I started having trouble. Yeah, I know, the problem is the battery, not the ignition. But given the choice of being able to start your car w/ 8v w/ points vs not being able to start w/ 9v w/ an electronic unit.... which do you think is more reliable?

Don't get me wrong... I run a Compufire unit, but I always keep a spare set of points and a condensor in the glove box along w/ a screwdriver and the tools to adjust the points/timing.... just in case!

AshMan40

Reply to
AshMan

Hey Ash or any other Petronix or Compufire guys out there, Did it look like this unit in any way??

Eric

that is a copy of the pertronix...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 16:39:17 -0700, Dennis wrote:

If you're seeking input on "electronic points"... installed a MagFire points replacement on the bus ('71) in 2000(?) and have been happy since - like the stable timing and dwell.

When the youngest got interested in acvw's we bought a '67 T1. When I started sorting out what was working and what needed work, one thing that was obvious was the points (looking like they had 150k miles on them) had to go. And given my experience on the bus, decided to "upgrade" to a new coil and electronic points. Couldn't find the magfire locally, but did find a shrinkwrapped look alike. Installed them with a new blue coil. Again, liked the timing, dwell and easy starts. A week later, everything seemed ok, but it simply wouldn't start. Had fuel, didn't have spark. Wasn't happy thinking it was the new points (thinking $40 out the window) - back installed a fresh set of mechanical points. Still no go. Feeling a little relieved at that point thinking that I had misguessed the cause and in fact it was the new coil. Replaced the coil with the old one and put the electronic points back in. Again, no go. Started scratching my head at this point. Then decided for grins to go with mechanical points and old coil. It started. Bottom line - either the new coil took itself out and the electronic points, or the new points took themself out and the coil. Either way both were toast. One new coil (a 2nd one) plus a MagFire (waited for UPS to show up) and we're back to what I liked so much on the bus - stable timing, dwel and easy startsl. That was 5 months ago. Since then, it's been: turn the key, and it runs. I'd vote for them (electronic points), but would like a better warranty (better than: you plug them in, they're your's).

greg 71T2 64baja 67T1

Reply to
greg mushial