Convert Ghia Coupe to Convertible

During a upcomming restoration of my 2 Ghia's (72 and 74) Coupe's, I was thinking about converting them to Convertibles. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks..

Jono

Reply to
Jono

Nevermind...I didn't realize the convertible cars were built different as far as the structure of the body and reinforcements go...

Jono

J> During a upcomming restoration of my 2 Ghia's (72 and 74) Coupe's, I

Reply to
Jono

I'm not positive if it is the same on Ghias, but bugs have a strengthening member welded under the heater channel but the channel itself is the same for verts and hardtops, from what I understand.

Maybe that's is similar on Ghias and all you would have to add is that member? The catalogs I have don't seem to make a distinction between hard top and convertible but do have this 'reinforcing member' that seems to attach to the rocker panel.

There's a Ghia forum on theSamba.com -- someone there will know for sure what would be involved.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Hay, thanks man.

Jono

Remco wrote:

Reply to
Jono

There are more strengthening panels also !!!!

inside the front and rear quaters.

Rich

Reply to
tricky

Hey Rich, how's things?

On a bug or Ghia?

A while ago someone on theSamba had pictures of this hard top bug that had its top cut off. Technically it isn't a convertible, because there wasn't any kind of cover. It certainly would be a challenge to have in rainy new England...

Remco

Reply to
Remco

in Old England also ;-)

On a Bug.

Bug me shows some of them on their heater chanel dvd I think.

Rich

Reply to
tricky

I'll have to watch that video again - it has been a year or so.

I remember there's a strenghtening member under the channel but don't remember seeing anything else specific to a vert.

Reply to
Remco

want to trade the '72 for a real cabriolet? A '62 body on a '69 pan and it needs TLC? In N. California. curious? snipped-for-privacy@humboldt1.com

Reply to
Soup Nazi

yes both verts have strenthening panels, however from what I've heard making convertable out of sedan is never a good idea, this is not specific to vw. You CAN do this if you are ready to redo the whole body and strenthening it the correct way. Even original verts do lose their shape and with age door pillars start to cave in.

By no means have I done anything close to this kind of conversion or restoration just something i heard read from other people.

best of luck, Ant> tricky wrote:

Reply to
anton

Jan has a pic on his web site of the extra panels etc for a bug. (he used to anyhow)

I think he converted a bug once ! give him a PING

Rich

Reply to
tricky