Does anyone know why my brakes do the following?

I just moved to a place a few miles out of town, and my road is gravel-covered. It frequently develops a washboard style surface, ridges a few inches wide which cause a very rough ride. The situation to be described occurs after I've driven ~1/2 to 1 mile on this surface, but does not occur when I drive on the rough but not washboard dirt road beside my road. So what happens? My brakes are mysteriously solid after driving on this surface. They're not bad normally, but they have a little more play than I like. After driving down this road, they're solid no play whatsoever. A few minutes after I leave the washboard surfaced road, they're back to normal. My mechanic commented just a couple of months ago (after installing rear axles and front bearings) on the fact that my brakes were nearly new and high quality.

Thanks for you help

Reply to
mez

Does your brake pedal have the proper amount of free play in it?

-

Jim Adney

It has a little too much play normally and too little when this situation occurs. I'm almost certain I need to adjust them, but my problem with the rough road will come into play when I do so. Depending upon what the problem seems to be, I may take it to a professional. I don't want to push my luck with the brakes.

Reply to
mez

I have ~ 1/2 - 1" of play, but they're soft until much nearer the floor. When I've just driven down that rough road, they still seem to have the same play but they're firm all the way after that.

Reply to
mez