Does Anyone Know the Answer to My Problem

I own a UK 1984 Nissan Stanza 1.8 SGL Automatic with a G/Box problem. It does not want to change from 1st to 2nd. It will change if the throttle is lifted, but it will change into 3rd, missing 2nd. Whenever I use Kickdown at around 40 mph it goes into 1st and misses 2nd. The same happens on hills. The Auto Fluid is at correct level.

Anyone got any ideas?

Someone has suggested either Brake Band Adjustment or Faulty Governor.

Please post here or email direct to

snipped-for-privacy@abbcon.co.uk

Kenny Farmer Heathrow Airport UK

Reply to
Kenny Farmer

Seems Like no one does

Reply to
Kenny Farmer

Why Am I talking to myself

Reply to
Kenny Farmer

We would, but we can't. Transmission expertise is hard to find. I'd suggest a visit to a local gear man who specializes in such matters.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

Is it really really CLEAN and transparent RED? Milky pink = water in fluid Dark or black and smells burnt = burnt clutch or brake. Bits = clutch or brake Light to dark brown and gooey = oxidised - overheated (check rad cooler), under or over filled

The manual for the 4 speed auto box on the '89 200SX has 50 pages of problem diagnoses and fault finding. The whole auto box section is

160 pages - manual box is 29 pages total. This one has a box of electronics that works with the engine management system so it has self diagnosis test methods that won't apply to yours.

Gear change directly from D1 t o D3.

1: Fluid level 2: Accumulator 1-2 3: Low and reverse band brake

Procedure 9 - Does not shift from D4(3?) to D2 on depressing accelerator pedal fully at specified speed. Procedure 7? Procedure 8?

1: self diagnosis - damage to inhibitor after cruise test? 2: Engine rev sensor and speed sensor? 3: Throttle sensor? 4: Remove oil pan (without draining or spilling fluid) check fluid condition - residue and crap in pan = NG.

Whatever remove control valve refer to 'on vehicle service' check Shift valve A Shift solenoid A Pilot valve Pilot Filter

If Fluid NG Disassemble A/T refer.... Check Servo piston Brake band Oil pump

Procedure 7: Check fluid level AGAIN! Check stall revs - refer..... Check pressure at idle - refer....

It goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on

If you find the above daunting go to a auto transmission service shop (yellow pages

) else get a NISSAN SERVICE MANUAL!Doubt a Haynes has much on this, for the 83 Shitroen BX they just saychange the fluid at first sign of trouble (so the service guy can'tget clue as to the real problem) and how to adjust the lever andmechanical kickdown link on throttle.

Peter Hill