Electrical Problem, Maybe.

I just replaced all of the defroster ducts on my '72 Standard Beetle. When I got done I got in the car and started it. The Brake warning light came on when I turned the key to on, and went off when I started the car. Is it supposed to do that? I have had the car 3 years and that light has never even flickered!

The other thing involves the brake warning light and the Generator light. Just since I did the work on the defroster(which means I was messing around at the fuse box and wiring) the above happens, plus on occasion the gen light and brake light flicker simultaneously. Could this be a bad ground? If so, where do I look?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

It's normal. Beginning in '72, the warning light was wired to "test" itself when the car is first started. They did this by connecting it to the GEN output. As soon as the GEN begins to charge, the test circuit goes off. At idle, it's possible for the GEN output to drop low enough to trigger the test.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks Jim. I figured you would be the one to reply to that one and I appreciate it.

Kinda funny how I apparently fixed something without actually trying. I wish all of my repairs went that well.

Thanks again,

Dave

Reply to
Dave