engine removal -> drain oil?

right, theres really no reason to other than if some sort of snafu happens on the way out! Like going sideways and damaging a pushrod tube or something like that. I remeber once I asked my wife to help me lift a motor up onto the bench with me that I had just pulled out of a beetle that I was dimantleing for parts. I wanted the car stripped and cut up by the end of the day so I was going quick and did not drain the oil. I had popped the valve covers to take a peek inside when I first got the car and when I put tham back on I did not pay any attention to if the gaskets went back corrrectly or not. Anyway, as we lifted she did not pick it up as fast as I did and all the oil poured out onto her! It wasn't that bad till she saw that the oil had got on her precious shoes (NEVER mess with a womans shoes)! Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

....................LOL

.............I just showed this to my wife and her response was that you're almost as big of an idiot as me!

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Hi,

I'm planning to remove the engine of my 72 SB for a clutch replacement, but I read in the Haynes that I must drain the engine oil. I guess that only applies if you are going to overhaul the engine itself, but not the clutch, right?

Ant

Reply to
Ant

I'd drain it. There's always something that I decide to do since it's out that requires me to tip it or stand it on end or something - and even with it drained there's enough oil left in pockets that it's a helluva mess to clean up! I think I have never, in maybe 6 or 7 times of pulling without draining NEVER managed to get by without making a big mess! (Usually when I'm either pissed off or tired, but it always seems to happen!)

- Dave

replacement,

I guess that

itself, but not the

Reply to
Busahaulic

Howdy...

I never pull the oil... never have a problem... would be a good time to change the oil....

It's TRANNIES that have the mess if you pull the oil and don't keep them horizontal.

Reply to
MNAirHead