Advice on Building a 1776 motor?

Currently, I have built a Manx style dune buggy, from a rusted out 73 beetle, with the stock 1600 DP motor. Compression checks show that the #3 cylinder only has 85lbs while the others are over the 100 lbs. It runs smooth at idle and starts right up and seems to pull OK right through 3rd gear while keeping it revved up. Once I hit 4th gear on the highway, the motor seems to surge or lose power.

Things I've done to the motor.

1) Rebuilt the carb 34pict 2) New plugs, wires, distributor cab,rotor, pointless ignition 3) Installed electric fuel pump 4) Set the valves 5) Timed the motor 6) Installed a tri-mil merged header with quiet pack muffler

I've read many articles on building the 1776 motor and that it's a good dependable motor with alittle extra punch. I'm not looking for a wild motor, just something that will handle the hills and highway speeds without having my foot firmly planted on the floor.

I'm looking for recommendations on the necessary parts and modifications. What should I be using to build this motor?

Thx

Al

Reply to
Al Johnson

I'm building a 1776 for my '62 rag and here's what I have so far:

Mahle 90.5 mm p&c CB 044 Magnum heads Engle 110 cam Weber dual 40mm carbs Bosch 009 dist.

What I am buying, soon:

Lightened forged flywheel CB Supercase drilled for full flow Scat "lube-a-lobe" cam followers (lifters) Solid shaft 1.1:1 rocker arms w/swivel feet (unless someone here thinks

1.25:1 would be better... I've read no) :o) Total seal rings Deep sump CB forged chromoly crankshaft

Plus an external crankcase breather, a Setrab external oil cooler and other various non-internal items.

Hope that helps, sure there's much more that the brain trust here can add ;o)

B.C. Bugger

I am also building a 1776. This engine is for the Ghia which sees long freeway miles (sometimes in very hot conditions) and needs enough power for mountains. And because a Ghia is fairly heavy as type-1s go, I went for torque.

  • new full-flowed AS41 case
  • Berg CW crankshaft, lightenned flywheel and 3.5 lb Berg pulley
  • Mahle 90.5s
  • total seal 2nd rings
  • Engle 100 cam
  • CB 044 heads, port & pollished by Steve Hollingsworth
  • Berg solid rocker shafts
  • swivle-foot adjusters
  • 40mm Kadrons
  • Single QP
  • Setrab oil cooler tied in via a Mocal thermostatic sandwich adaptor
  • 1-1/2 Qt Berg Sump

Yesterday I got the rotating mass (crank, pulley, flywheel, pressure plate) back from the ballance shop and I've been mocking up the bottom end today. Some pictures at http://63.230.74.177/ghia/ starting at page 14, around picture 339.

But I'm gonna be stuck shortly. I appear to have neglected to buy rod bearings and camshaft bearings. Poo. Oh well. I'll be buying crankshaft shims Monday when the local VW parts place is open.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Reply to
Al Johnson

modifications.

Reply to
Nor-Cal VW's

Reply to
Ilambert

Hey guys- Those are all REALLY nice engines, but you said that you just want a decent engine. They have put alot into their engines, and it will show. On the other hand, if you want more then stock power, go simple. I have a 1776 with big bore heads, lightened flywheel, counterweighted crank. Everything else "stock". I get up to about 98mph floored on the freeway. I can cruise at 80 (for as long as i have ever needed to drive at once) without heating up too high. I imagine i don't have over 60 hp. O ya, its a 34 pict3 carb too. I get 21 mpg (about) when i cruise at 70, about 18 mpg doing 80, if i drive around town doing 90, its like 16 mpg, haha. Anyways, i wouldn't spend much if you want a good ride. With our cars being so light, it doesn't take much, i love the acceleration of my car. (sometimes i wish i had a bit more, but who doesn't, i guess there is no satisfaction for speed) ~peace~Justin

Reply to
Nxqzablesk8er

This might work ok as a temporary solution while you save money for dual carbs.. that pict 3 on top of that engine sounds WAY too small. It was too small for the stock engine already. It's not a bottleneck, it's a virtual bottle CAP.

Replace it with kads or two dual dells and it would really wake up. REEEAAAALLLLYYYYY

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

good point, i heard that even a dual barrel single carb would be enough. I have had no prob with my little 34pict

Reply to
Nxqzablesk8er

That's all I'z got on my 1.7. Solex 34 PICT-3. Works great. Dave.

Reply to
Nor-Cal VW's