Engine troubles

Hi RAMVA!

I have recently changed the carburettor and manifold on my 1975 1303 from a weber dual progressive to a stock Solex 34PICT-3 and original manifold.

The engine was originally a 1300 (AR engine code) a previous owner rebuilt as a 1600. The Solex has been rebuilt by myself, the manifold is clear of carbon.

I put the manifold on the car with new gaskets on both the cylinder heads and the exhaust, as well as new rubber boots to join the end pipes. I have set the carburettor up as here:

The problem I have, the idle is very fast (and therefore loud!). I can't seem to get it to drop without it making the engine stall. I have found a suitable position with the volume control screw 3.5 turns out and the bypass screw adjusted for the best idle.

The car runs fine, no problems getting up to speed at all. There is sometimes a slight hesitation on acceleration unless you keep the revs up. I have noticed the engine gets very hot - much hotter than it was before.

Any ideas what the problem could be? Thanks in advance!

-- Howard Rose

1966 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe 1975 Volkswagen 1303S 1962 Austin Mini Seven
Reply to
Howard Rose

Does sound like a vacuum leak.

You can try spraying solvent around suspected areas to see if idle speed changes. That doesn't always work.

On difficult ones, I have pressurized the manifold this way: Remove rocker shafts so that all valves are closed. Take carb off and blank the opening with a homemade adapter for a compressed air hose. Could be as simple as a wooden plate.

You don't need/want much pressure, 2 or 3 psi should be enough. Brush soapy mixture all over the manifold and connecting points, looking for air bubbles. If there is a leak, you may even be able to hear it hissing.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim