Reflection On Winter In A VW

I've been driving the vw all winter this year. It has been an excellent car. We had some major ice storms around here a few weeks ago and my car had no problems getting out and about, avoiding ditches and the rear-ends of other people's cars. Work even had me go around and pick up people who couldn't get their cars out of their neighborhood. I had 5 adults in there at once, which doesn't quite beat my record of 8 back in high school, but it was a tight fit.

The only complaint is the defrost..which is partly my fault. I took all this time fabricating the cables that control the heat flaps on the floor vents out of bicycle break line, just to go ahead and take the covers off to let the heat right into the vehicle. This works GREAT, in these very cold temps I'm warm in the car after 5 min. However, this air doesn't quite make it up to the windshield. I have a

76, and it has the defrost fan. This helps, it kinda sucks air that doesn't escape the foot well vents and pushes it out the dash. The night the ice storm hit I had to drive home, periodically stopping to scrape the windshield again. I need to find a good electric windshield washer so I can put some de-icer fluid in it. I got the origional one to work, but it's really weak, even when I have the spare tire inflated to 32psi. Any suggestions on that?
Reply to
Jon

vw recommended 42psi in the spare to operate the winshield washer..... you can also purchase OEM electric operated windshield washer tanks/pump that mount inside the trunk on the left side fender bolts....i have one but can't comment on how it works because i can't install it there...(gasoline heater in the way)

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Two suggestions:

Try opening one or both of your vent windows just a crack; that tends to help the defrost just a bit. When the car is in motion, the slipstream draws some additional air through the ducts if the windows are opened slightly. I've found that this works pretty well on my '66.

Check your windshield washer nozzles for obstructions by probing into them with a sewing needle. They may be clogged. If that doesn't work, the problem could be your switch/washer valve.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and stay warm.

J> I've been driving the vw all winter this year. It has been an

Reply to
ex_prof1

I think I installed this flexible washer reservoir kit on a 70 Beetle

Hardest part is where to place the switch/button.

Of course you might be able to just purchase an external washer pump, wiring and switch and use the original washer tank. ;-)

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Aircooled.net has a reservoir and pump (designed by VW for the Mexico bugs I think) as well.

Hmmm...a bit more expensive than the JCW item.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Yeah but the aircooled.net washer tank will look stock AND clean!! So I guess it does depend on how good you want it to look! 8^)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I'd wait till they come up with a heated unit like the new cars ...(I get to share the profit if someone in here reads this ... (Jan :o)).....an patents it .lol)

Other then that its not hard to get the stock set-up working right , I've never had a problem with it on any of the cars, I dealt with. I'm sure you can get everything to get yours working.

Mario Vintage Werks resto

Reply to
Kafertoys

Other then that its not hard to get the stock set-up working right , I've never had a problem with it on any of the cars, I dealt with. I'm sure you can get everything to get yours working.

when I purchased my ghia last year I hooked up the washer system....(the pressure line wasn't hooked up to the bottle)...Didn't take too long to figure out why it was disconnected.... the bottle pressurized and I squirted the window a few times.... smiling like a dumbass at having "fixed" it(all I did was add fluid and hook the pressure line up) i suddenly realized that my leg was getting a shower of cold liquid.... the "valve" part of the washer switch in the column must be bad, it leaks badly....hehe...i'm sure that isn't good for the electrical parts in the column.... i do without now....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Wow, you mean you didn't have to use an ice scraper on the INSIDE of the windows to get the ice off after you drove a few minutes? That has always been an issue for me in cold weather.

Reply to
KWW

been in the teens every evening for a week....the defroster in the ghia blows strong....no problem with icing on the inside of the windshield.... i've only owned two bugs that the defroster worked worth a damn...one was "all original" 71 super and the other was a 74("standard") that i put the heating system back to "stock"....when its there, and working properly it's not bad....especially if you do highway commuting....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

The pre-1998 Bugs were never a winter car, especially in the rust belt where road salt is used. Too many unprotected moving surfaces that get corroded and fail to function properly, such as door hinges and the steering mechanism. Don't get me wrong, I love old bugs - but the reality is, they aren't meant for snow and slush.

Reply to
Papa

And usually created challenges about keeping the front windshield free of fog on the inside. ;-)

I enjoyed driving mine in the wintertime and most of the Bugs I owned had good heat too. Yes they really did! :-) I won't drive a Beetle in the wintertime since they are more valuable now.

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

until ten years ago i drove ACVW's as daily drivers....never had any more trouble with them than any other vehicles i have owned.....we salt here, but not nearly as much as further north...but we have some rust buckets around here, due to folks not taking care of thier vehicles.... lots of folks around here lose vehicles to rust thanks to mud...if folks took care of thier stuff it would be alot less...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Exactly the same happened in my 1303! The problem was with the black valve in the wiper column. Now I just get the problem of the system depressurising after a week :-)

-- Howard Rose

1966 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe 1975 Volkswagen 1303S 1962 Austin Mini Seven
Reply to
Howard Rose

I have the Aircooled.net pump and bottle and it works wonderful. The price wasn't bad at all considering the quality and fit. I'd recommend it....and I'm a cheap bastard:)

Sneaks '68 T1

Reply to
Sneaks