engine wnts to die

Well this is the problem: 1973 vw bug..starts fine but while stepping on the gas it wants to die. Seems if I gently step on the gas it will run fine. If I step a little harder it has no power. I just picked this bug up and the carb was rebuilt ( at least that is what the guy said). Could it be something else than the carb doing this? Thanks, Pete

check to see if it squirts gas through the accelerator nozzle. It is probably clogged with a little debris. The top of the carb will have to be taken off in order to remove the nozzle, clean it out and reposition it. repair manuals are good to have too! :-)

dave