Entropy sucks!! (Diagnosis help, please?)

Sorry, but I'm gonna rant a little, and maybe someone can lend a hint before I start taking things apart!

I've got my last airc VW in storage/shop/garage in the garage next door, and my son and I put it back together after rebuilding the top end (new heads, pistons and cyl) on the 1776cc /w/ Weber dual progressive carb. It's been running fine, and since I don't drive it regularly (not licensed), I've been starting it and running it sporadically to keep the battery in good health, etc. So yesterday when I went out to start and run it, I discover that the last time I did I left the stereo on and the battery was dead! Bummer! BUT! I put it on slow charge all night, and this AM, the battery's in fine charge, so I cranked her over to start, but the engine just fired a couple of times, then went silent! OK, I'd been runing the gas down pretty low, so it may just be finally out of gas, so I put a gallon or so in from a gas can I have. Still nothing! No fire in the hole STS. I even squirted some starting fluid (ether!) on the air cleaner, and still no firing!! The gas filter is completely full, which is unusual (usually it's about 1/2 full)

Any ideas before I get out my tools and begin the troubleshooting process?

Thanks for listening! I feel better now. :-)

Reply to
John Kuthe

...................Go to Speedy Jim's website at

.........He has a 'why won't my engine start' section that ought to be helpful.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Burned up points................My Best Guess.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Reply to
MUADIB®

Since the stereo was on, was the ignition on as well? If you leave the ignition on for a long time, chances are good that the coil will burn out. Check for a strong spark.

Reply to
J Stafford

No, I have the stereo wired so it's on all the time. A bad idea perhaps, but normally I don't leave it on.

Yeah, checking for a good spark is among my first ideas at troubleshooting, but the thing that stymies me initially is the full fuel filter. I'm gonna check to see of fuel is getting into the engine/carbuerator/etc. first, I think.

Reply to
John Kuthe

Get a solar or float charger. They work good for me (I use both).

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

I whined prematurely! And possibly had flooded my engine, dunno.

But this AM, I popped the air cleaner off and squirted some starting fluid directly down the throat of the carbuerator, and after some noncooperation and sputtering, the ole 1776 finally roared to life!!

:-)

Bugs, ya gotta love 'em! (Arrgh?)

Reply to
John Kuthe