Re: Why do all the ricers love the Honda Civic?

easily it comes down to one thing cost yeah alot of them spends upwards to 40 grand or more to supe up their car but if you get down and look at
the years of the cars you will see they are newer cars in the the last few years and the older performance stuff is easily found at swap meets now cause everyone is always trying to switch out to better stuff all the time which means they are getting alot of extra parts stored on the shelf which also means they are becoming cheaper to buy ,an example is a high end intake that would've cost at least 300 dollars a few years ago will goto a swap meet and get sold for around half or a third of what it originally cost ,,why you ask its because its starting to become a glut on the market it happened years ago too when the small blocks came out the flathead ford performance parts went in the toilet couldn't even give it away literally because it was a glut on the market you could go anywhere to get a intake for a flat head for almost nothing . so most of those kids are running secondhand or third hand equipment ,so more than likely they paid only a few grand instead of the 20-30 grand it originally cost and they are making some pretty nice improvements to an engine that was never meant to be nothing more than a high mpg driver ,and they are very cheap to pickup used usually in my area you can pick one up for around 2-300 bucks so if you consider the average pay for a teen is around 3-6 grand a year its about the only thing thats out there they can really afford to fix up,when i have talked to some of them i get they really like to have a 32 coupe ,or nice muscle car or something like that but the price on a decent one is too high and costs more to restore one even and if you think about it the civic is the modern days equivalent of the model t of years ago

Honda
manhood
I considered getting a WRX Sti, but I just couldn't get past the huge wing on the rear. I like the smaller wing on the regular WRX and wish it was available as an option on the WRX Sti.
I ended up buying a 2004 Ford F-150 4x4 Lariat instead and I am really happy with it.

no reason the wing couldnt be swapped, is there? same color car, same body style? im sure some poser would love driving a WRX with an Sti wing. dealer shoulda done it for ya.

Both of those wings look as stupid as fins on a 60's Cadillac.

Hey,hey,hey! '58 thru '62 rule!Cars don't get much cooler than that.
--
David V.Nelson (Dark,very dark)
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMtwcny.rr.com

no
I don't agree. The rear wing on the WRX is much smaller as seems to be an appropriate size. The WRX Sti wing is big enough that it look ridiculous.

What is it that's ridiculous about it? It's supposed to be a street-legal replicar of the WRC model - no?
Rgds, George Macdonald

That doesn't mean that I have to like the way the rear wing looks. Just because it was on the WRC car does not mean that I want to own a car with a wing that big.

If it's functional it's not ridiculous.
Rgds, George Macdonald

Sure it is. These aren't the WRC car, they are street driven. How often will anyone drive one of these cars fast enough for the huge wing to actually perform its function?
When a race car has a particular feature that only comes into use at extreme speeds, this feature serves no purpose at highway speeds. The wing is just too big in my opinion.
I have a car that can out perform the WRX Sti, but it sure as hell doesn't need a big damn wing to get it done.
My opinion changed anyway when I discovered that I could buy a much more powerful Cobra for close to the same price. If I had to choose between the two cars, the Cobra would be my choice because it is more powerful and looks a lot better.

You don't have to drive that fast for the wing to do its stuff. I bet at 100 mph it's producing a fair amount of downforce.

Yeah, maybe in a straight line ...

100
How often do expect that a person is going to be going 100 mph or faster? Not very often I would expect.

No, I could easily take a WRX Sti through the mountains. I drive a Corvette with quite a bit more HP than the Subaru. It also has some very wide and very sticky tires on it that will negate most of the 4 wheel drive advantage of the WRX Sti.

Depends what you're doing and where you live.

Yeah, sure. I'm not saying you couldn't beat an Sti through the mountains, especially if your vette is a z06, but "easily"? BS. It will be down to the driver, and an Sti is a very easy car to drive quickly.
BTW: I don't drive an impreza, I drive an EVO 7, in case you think I'm being bias.

Depends what you're doing and where you live.

Yeah, sure. I'm not saying you couldn't beat an Sti through the mountains, especially if your vette is a z06, but "easily"? BS. It will be down to the driver, and an Sti is a very easy car to drive quickly.
BTW: I don't drive an impreza, I drive an EVO 7, in case you think I'm being bias.

being
I looked at the Evo VII when I was looking for vehicles and it was taken off the list of vehicles as soon as I got a good look at one. The WRX Sti looks like a well designed car and the Evo looked too much like a family car with some aftermarket parts added to it. I was surprised at the difference when I got a close look at both cars.

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion I suppose. I'll admit the Evo isn't the best looking car in the world, but I still think it looks better than the Sti. The important thing is that the Evo is the better car to drive, and if you like driving round corners fast you can't get many better cars at any price. (although I might be tempted by a GT3)
Why does anyone expect downforce to the car when thr wing is only attached to the trunk lid?If the car went fast enough to create significant amoumts of downforce(120mph+),the trunklid would collapse.Race cars mount the wings to the frame(something street cars lack being mono in construction)and they attain speeds high enough for aero aids to funtion.Otherwise,it's for looks.

wings
they
looks.
On the EVO 8 the rear spoiler uses carbon fiber-reinforced plastic for both the horizontal and vertical components. This means it's VERY strong. It was also moved moved 58mm rearward from the EVO 7 spoiler position into an area where the airstream is faster, producing 1.7 times more downforce. If the spoiler was just for show then why would they bother? They'd just stick a huge plastic POS spoiler on the back like a ricer does. It'd certainly be cheaper.

How is it attached to the frame?
In the early 70's, the super Bees ran at daytona with the rear wings not attached to the cars frame.
href="http://community.webtv.net/weewiktype1/Dens1978Puma ">Den's 1978 Puma</a>