Front wheel bearing race removal question

I am rebuilding the front end of my 79 super bug. I found out today that the brake drums are to thin to turn. I will find some new drums locally, but my question is about the bearing races. Can a DIY'r pull them out and set new ones, or do I need to take them to a shop. Thanks, Craig

Reply to
Craig

Most definitely! Craig, This is actually a pretty decent time to paractice removal, as you're not in any need of any of the parts on the drum anyway.

Clean up the drum real good and get a look at them. You will notice if you look at either of the bearing races ( inner or outer ) frokm the opposite side, you can see a two slots giving access to the back surface of the bearing race. With a drift of soft metal ( aluminum or brass or something like that ) you can gently tap them out from behind, trun it around and do the other side as you did that one.

I say Practice on this , as I wouldn;t re-use the existing bearing myself, although I'm sure there are some who would.

You can install the new races in the same manner or if you have a press, you can smoothly press them in with the prper type of attachment.

Good luck and good learning.

( if no one posts a picture of a drum cross section before tommorrow , I will if you still need a bit more to understand, Lemme know)

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

The short answer is yes, you can do it yourself. You'll need a medium sized punch and a hammer. If you look inside the hub area of the drum you'll see two areas that reach out all the way to the edge of the race. Tap alternately from side to side with the punch to drive the races out. Putting them back in is the same procedure, just strike them on opposite sides to drive them in. You'll know when you have them fully seated as the sound will change when you strike the race.

Besides packing the bearings, make sure you fill the central hub of the drum with grease before you put it all back together.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

Yes you can remove/replace them.....Hal's description of removing them is correct. IMHO, a set of new wheel bearings is not that expensive and cheap insurance. Unless you know the bearings were recently replaced, I would go ahead and install a new set. When installing the bearing race, you want to apply force equally around the edge of the race so it does not get cocked in the drum. Best way to do this is with either a bearing driver or with a socket that matches the diameter of the race. If you're a tool junkie, you can buy a bearing driver set or if you've got an AutoZone nearby, they will loan you one for FREE (with a credit card imprint). AutoZone has quite a list of special tools they loan for free (with the credit card imprint) and it's one of the better deals around.

Good luck.

Reply to
Mike

Removal is done by punching them out as guys describe.

Installing new ones is a lot easier, if you place the new outer races in the freezer for a while. Freezing cold makes them smaller and they will slip in without need of exessive force that might damage them.

Reply to
Olli Lammi