Generator or Engine Whining????

I started my rebuilt engine in my Ghia a couple of days ago. There's a loud whine. I mean louder than the engine. When I 'tested' the engine on the floor, I didn't hear the noise. The Gen wasn't wired. Now in the car with all wiring connected I hear the whine. I can also see sparks where the brushes (which I replaced) are touching the rotor. A friend said that the noise will go away once the brushes are 'broken in'. Is this the case or is it something else, maybe some other part of the motor?

TIA, Mel

77 Revived Bug & 70 Ghia (being re-assembled)
PARTS FOR SALE:
Mel P.

Possibilities:

  • generator bearings busted

  • generator not installed in exaclty correct orientation and so the belt will whine

  • belt too tight (will bust the bearings after a while)

  • the fan rubbing the fan shroud

Take off the fan belt and rotate the generator by hand. Try to feel, if the fan is grabbing the shroud or what it might be. IMO the brushes should not produce that loud noise even if they are new.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Take off the generator belt and test it VERY BRIEFLY.

-

Jim Adney