Generator Pulley Installation

Hi Everyone....

Quick question....how does one go about installing the generator pulley on the shaft? I can't seem to get the woodruff key to hold the pulley....is there a trick to this?

Thanks,

Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Dunno Peter. I always just fit the Woodruff key in the shaft and then slid the pulley base over it, and rarely remember ever having any particular trouble with it.

What do you mean you "can't seem to get the woodruff key to hold the pulley". Is it falling out/off before the puley base is on the gen. shaft?

John Kuthe...

Reply to
John Kuthe

If I insert the key into the indent on the shaft, when I go to slide the pulley over the shaft, the key slids up.

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Is it a new Generator/Shaft and key? The key should be a fairly tight fit into the shaft. It's possible that the key and/or key-way is a little distorted, making for a sloppy fit.

Reply to
Alan Nelson

the one on Walter's generator is so sloppy I need to hold it in place while I slide the pulley. (actually mine has an adaptor for a brazilian pulley). just patience is needed to get it on...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

I was able to get the pulley on, but it isn't a super-tight fit...I was able to pull the pulley off with my hands, so I imagine that if it was on the car the belt tension would pull things apart.....should I try glueing the woodruff key into the keyway?

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

It's ok that you can pull the pulley off, it's not really supposed to be that tite.  The nut will hold everything on.   Jim Peter Cressman wrote: I was able to get the pulley on, but it isn't a super-tight fit...I was able to pull the pulley off with my hands, so I imagine that if it was on the car the belt tension would pull things apart.....should I try glueing the woodruff key into the keyway?

<aJFQb.126678$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>,

snipped-for-privacy@nn.cl               | "World domination, now"

Reply to
bugfern

You can file a slight angle at the start of teh key slot, on the pulley. Bevel the edges, so to speak. That will help guide the key into the groove. Use some form of lubrication, motor oil for example.

Jan

Peter Cressman wrote:

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Nahh, it'll hold. The nut will tighten it down.

Jan

Peter Cressman wrote:

Reply to
Jan Andersson

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 06:16:40 GMT, "Peter Cressman" ran around screaming and yelling:

Pete, this is correct....it should not be an interference or press fit...you *should* be able to remove it with hand pressure...at least untill you get some corrosion in there and *want* to pull it off...LOL J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani