Tech: pulley digging into face of generator - why?

Started the 72 SB this cold morning and the thing was making a nasty grinding noise - could hear it all the way to the bus stop - thought maybe the throwout bearing may have dried (since the noise lessened when it was warmer).

Got home and popped the engine cover - noticed one the extra shims were actually coming out from behind the nut. So, pulled the pulley (the one shim someone cut one end out, making it almost impossible to remove) - looks like the inner pulley has been riding on the generator as the bolts were ground (nice pile of metal shavings). It's one of those chrome pulleys, but just the inner one.

Cleaned it all up, checked the pulley and it indeed does sit up against the case/bolts of the generator. That can't be right. Went through my Haynes manual and no diagram - but shouldn't there be some kind of spacer between the pulley and the generator?

Looking through my MidAmerica catalog - their pulley kit shows shims, pulley, woodruff key, nut, and a spacer. Is that the spacer I need?

Any help/advice or pictures is always appreciated. Thanks!

ps -->> if there is anyone in St Louis, I could use someone to look this SB engine over - I think it has the wrong carb too...

Reply to
Barnhart Pinball

Barnhart Pinball wrote in news:Xns99DB50833D82ABarnhartPinball@216.168.3.70:

Update - all is fixed. Turns out the fan belt was improperly/not shimmed (I learned something new) and it was too tight - thank you previous owner

- no shims at all between the pulleys. It spread the inner pulley, making it rub against the generator.

Went down to my local Bug shop (yea Archway in StLouis) and picked up a new pulley set, shims and a woodruff key (had the wrong one of those too). So, $15 later and new knowledge on how to shim a pulley - my SB is better than ever.

Oh, I have a pict30 carb too - wrong one for my engine.

Reply to
Barnhart Pinball

innews:Xns99DB50833D82ABarnhartPinball@216.168.3.70:

quoted text -

Glad to hear you got it figured out.

Reply to
Randy

Yep, I'm learning. Also picked up the correct Pict34 carb tonight. The 30 on it now doesn't work properly - and has a weird adaptor so it'll fit. The adaptor makes the carb sit higher than it should, which binds the accelerator cable...

Reply to
Barnhart Pinball

Late reply, but I have had a cronic problem with pullies getting worn out right next to the shaft where they meet the spacer bevel on the generator/alternator shafts....... finally seem to have fixed it by adding some extra shims. I guess that I had not had the pully halves tight enough so there was a slight wobble on the inner part.... finally figured that out after grinding the face off on two generators and 1 alternator.

I also have the "wrong carb" on my engine and thus have a spacer. The 40 hp motor runs great though, and I added an extender to the accelerator cable after trimming the end a little. This gives me just the right amount of extra play so that it has the right action. One of these days I will have the time to rebuild an old carb and use it, but until then, I have driven this bug every day for over 5 years and it still keeps going. KWW '65 Beetle (Jenny the IOC) '64 Beetle

Reply to
Kirk