Generator/pulley nut size?

I stripped the nut on Walters generator today. The shaft is a bit stripped but I think I can get away with a new nut. Anybody knows what size is it? I tried an M8 but was too small. M10?

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Stripped is stripped...................New Gennie.

Sorry, but I disagree with trying to make it work. I have such bad experiences with stripped out anything, that I won;t give a grain of sand for anything stripped.................unless of course it's my wife...........LOL

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

According to the orange book (why do I keep on calling it this way?) it's a

21mm.
Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

That's the outside size of the nut.

The inside is what matters :)

If the shaft gets stripped, you could still have it re-threaded for smaller size and use a smaller nut. It would take less torque, but probably still enough to keep it tight.

Jan

Karls Vladimir Peña wrote:

Reply to
Jan Andersson

"Eduardo Kaftanski" wrote in message news:buvejl$g4n$ snipped-for-privacy@enriqueto.nn.cl...

..............Sorry Eduardo, I don't know the thread size but I'm sure that someone else will provide that information.

..........Have you cleaned that shaft's threads with a wire brush and then carefully inspected them?...........................This happened to me a long time ago but I did over-tighten a pulley nut once and the damaged threads caused the pulley to loosen and the belt to slip while I was driving across Texas on a hot summer day......really hot. Eventually, I noticed that the charging light was on and pulled over. Back then (about thirty years ago) I was pretty stupid about ACVW's and when I looked at the engine, everything 'appeared' OK. At that point, I made the fatal mistake of assuming that there was an electrical problem and I resumed driving for another fifty miles or so hoping that the battery would have enough capacity to keep the ignition system functioning until I got home in Houston. A shop discovered the nut & thread problem and replaced the generator a few days later. I still didn't realize what I'd done by driving it that way and kept driving it in ignorant bliss until it dropped a valve and self-destructed with a connecting rod punching a hole in the top of the case a few days later while I was blasting along at about 80 mph on a Houston freeway. I'm not cautioning you to make sure that your belt isn't slipping because you're obviously knowledgeable enough to know better. I do think that you should think twice about trying to get by with a questionable generator shaft that might have damaged threads. It would make me real nervous. Those air-cooled engines get too hot real fast when the fan isn't pushing enough air across the cylinders & heads.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

I can assemble it now (its assembled) but the first two or three threads are gone, so I need to partially assemble it, slide the belt over the pulley and finish tightening...

I thing re threading it sounds good....

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

M12X1,5

Reply to
Olli Lammi

thanks. will buy one tomorrow :)

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 13:55:02 -0000, Antony Hutchison ran around screaming and yelling:

nope no reference, but it is easy....a M12x1.5 is a 12mm "hole"(if it is a nut, or stud if it is abolt) and the 1.5 means the threads are

1.5mm center to center....
Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Don't suppose anybody knows of a good reference online to these sizes, I find them pretty abstract, and it would be of great value to me to be able to see them in my head :-)

Cheers, Anto.

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

"Antony Hutchison" wrote

This page is not great but might help some:

Scott H

Cheers, thats a useful guide for me. Yet another addition to my growing list of websites!

Anto.

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

I went out today and bought two M12x1.5 nuts... they fit perfectly the unstripped generator core awaiting a suitable case (so its the right size) but its way too loose on the one thats installed on walter.

So I took the remains of the nut I thought I had stripped to the nut and bolt shop and... I have another US-spec fastener in my bug :) I was a 7/16-12 nut. Turns out the generator had been stripped by some unknown previous mechanic and then rethreaded to 7/16-12 (close to M12). The new nut fits perfectly... nice quiet generator now...

thanks for the help.

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski