Generator belt size

I busted my generator belt on the way home in the pouring down rain today. I noticed the gen light after a moment (after the idiotic thought of just driving the short distance home without a belt flashed through my head) and pulled over to replace it.

I usually carry a couple spare belts so I grabbed those. AFAICT they were the same size but they both seemed a bit too tight. Obviously a new belt is going to be stiff and probably need a different setting with the spacer shims but still, I had to use all the shims in the middle of the pulley to barely make it fit.

So I'm wondering what the correct size should be. This is a stock 1584 engine in a 1970 standard bug. The belt I didn't use says it's a:

3/12 DA Continental 11.3 x 912 La (I think - the letters are a bit smudged).

Is there a list somewhere listing the correct size for these old belts? One place online says 9.5 x 905mm which is a good bit wider than 11.3.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Narrower. It's too early.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Ah, that explains that. If I could remember who sold me this belt, I'd go bitch at them.

Thanks Jim.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

12V Generator uses: