ghia body AND pan on a big dolly? <long>

got my engine out, and need to swap out (convert) the autostick to std shift. also need complete brake system overhaul, plus pedal cluster swapout, mast cyl replace, etc. this is all gonna take some considerable working days (cars hasn't been touched in 20 years or so). contemplating advisability of placing it (the ghia, on it's pan) on this huge industrial dolly I have, reason being my shop is overly crowded indoors with "stuff", but outdoors is a nice clear concrete pad (accesable to the public/unfenced). I'd like to 'wheel it in and out' days I work on it and indoors at night.

I'd HATE to "re-jack and re-block indoors then out, then in" daily, every day, maybe for weeks.

dolly has approx eight" x 2" rubber tired wheels, 2 swivel, and 2 fixed, dolly size approximate: one foot tall, floor and frame of it approx 2.5 feet across by four & and half, maybe five feet long. SUPER heavy duty. also have huge wood blocks, approx six by eight inch 1.5 feet long, plus 4 x 4 blocks, etc. also have some thick old used mattress pads. dolly first, then blocks on dolly corners, then foam pads on top of blocks, then real thin plywood, then ghia on top. bottom of pan would be, I guess, maybe 2 feet off the ground...admittedly somewhat unorthodox, but does this seem doable? I'd need to keep the dolly rig "clear of" the transaxle fastenings...might have to place additional weights in front trunk to help balance the "rig"

question: how tall is the engine, assembled, top of blower housing to bottom of block? (mine's dismantled now) ...will need to slide it under this 'rig' when reinstalling (or maybe I should just do the trans swap on the dolly, then switch to conventional 'drive-on ramps in front and big jackstands in rear' method when reinstalling engine . I have a big rollaway floor jack, of course.

car will be supported "not from the normal places" obviosly....also have numerous wooden wedges (all sizes) for making support equal at all sides...

the dolly's definitely capable of carrying the weight, "no sweat"

comments, insights, & ideas invited :-)

Reply to
bill yohler