body crooked on pan

The driver side rear tire on my 71 ghia rubs under heavy cornering(It has about 1/8 - 1/4" of clearance). It does have 8 spoke empis, but the passenger side never does and I've tried hard. The PO poorly restored (slapped paint on it) and someone told me the body might be slightly shifted on the pan. I measured from a few different places and found it was consistently about a 1/4" difference. So my thought is, can I unbolt the body from the pan and just muscle it gently over? If so, how many bolts are we talking so I don't miss any? Thanks for the help

james

Reply to
j1mmyz

What parts are you measuring?............I am having a hard time imagining a body that far off , if all the bolts are in their place. seems to me like there's something bent in the chassis in the rear of the car , or maybe a weak torsion spring in the left side.

It is also likely the previious owner had some body parts cut off and rewelded improperly.

Do some magnetic research, or some sound testing on the body and find the welds that were done, and see if you can figure out how far off the body is due to poor alignment of body panels when they were welded back together.

This is not a loosen and adjust issue at any rate.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

could be that one side has been hit before and pulled back out or some one has smacked a curb and knocked the trailing arm in ever so slightly or your wheels have a slightly different offset. or the torsion bar is weak or try switching the rear wheels/tires around to see if you get the same results or just dont corner hard : )

good luck! seriously i dont think you will be able to get it to just scoot over a little bit especially if the body has never been off the pan. more work than its worth

Reply to
dragenwagen