Ghia Semi-auto to manual conversion

On my way home, 3 hours after I bought my new 69 Ghia it ground to a halt. I later discovered that it had no oil in the gearbox which is now seized.

So engine and gearbox are now out and no guide tube to be seen. The next job is to install a new guide tube, I am guessing that it comes out next to the accelerator cable - does that sound right? If anyone can describe in detail where it comes out or send me a photo it would be very useful.

If anyone has installed this guide tube before any suggestions would be very helpful. I have located some 1/2" steel tube which may do the job? It will just about bit into the Bowden tube.

Reply to
will

'69 didn't have the spare conduit. VW engineers figgered to save the boss a ton o' money. LOL Till they found out how hard it was to match up chassis and body that needed atutostick out on the factory floor:-) Later they wised up and put the conduit in *all* pans.

The new tube has to be welded inside the tunnel, or at least clamped. Yes, it comes out near the accel tube.

Now, there IS a bit more to the conversion.

Thankfully, long ago a Brit named Matt Claydon did the conversion AND recorded every little detail on his web site. The web site disappeared into cyber oblivion but, thanks to the WayBack Machine, a copy has been archived here:

Read all the details because there are other things which will trip up the unwary.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thank you, thank you, thank you - that is what I have been looking for, for weeks

Reply to
will

Will,

Check the pics here for the shape of the tube

Grahame\ from Australia

Reply to
Grahame Rumballe

It doesn't actually come out of the tunnel at all. The forward end of the tube ends *about* an inch and a half behind/inside the opening that the pedal cluster fits into.

Reply to
jeckler

I wouldn't attempt this w/o a stick shift parts car. and I would go the hydraulic route for the clutch. or maybe another pan, with the tube. good luck.

Reply to
A Veteran for Peace