Groaning suspension...

Hey all. As usual, I'm trying to get rid of some strange noise in my Beetle. My suspension creaks and groans and makes other unconfortable and/or obnoxious noises when I drive over any bump. I'm pretty sure it's becuase the torsian bars have not been greased in a very long time. I want to grease them, but I have a few questions first. The zerk fittings on the front arm or so clogged with ancient grease and dirt, I don't know how I'll ever get new grease in there. How should I clean them up, and unclog them? Also, where are the fittings to grease the rear arms? Lastly, what is a good grease gun to do this with. I saw a gun in an auto parts store that looked possible, but I didn't know if the hose would fit the zerks on my '73 German car. Suggestions? Thanks for the help. ~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

I just scaped the crud off the fitting with a knife or srewdriver and wiped it off with a rag. There is a spring loaded ball inside the fitting that keeps the dirt out. As long as you can push the ball in [not far] on the end of the fitting the grease will go in. I used a normal grease gun from the local auto parts store. But this may not be where the creaking and groaning is coming from. Check all the rubber or urethane bushings for the possible noise problem. Super Beetle or Standard Beetle? I've never found grease fitting for the rear torsions...