window regulator update

Got my car back today, and also got to chat with the real service advisor not just the chick behind the counter. Apparently the repair kit had been installed on my car but the cable had failed, causing the repeat performance of the amazing disappearing window. He said that there was an updated cable as well for these regulators (MkIV Golf/Jetta) and I got it for free, I don't know if this is also part of the extended warranty thing or if they just threw me a bone because of the PITA factor of shit breaking all the time. Just thought y'all should know since while I've been aware of the repair kit for a while I haven't seen any mention of the cable (and he said this was the first car he'd put the updated cable in, so maybe it's fairly new.)

nate

Reply to
Nathan Nagel

Well it works like this and has been for some time. If your car has one window not working and the other side is OK then you get what's called a super kit. The kit includes 4 clamps for both windows and 1 cable assembly. If your car has 2 windows dead then it gets 2 super kits. So it is possible, but rare to have a window failure after they were done. Personally I think VW should have just replaced the cable kits and clamps on both sides and be done with it.

Reply to
Woodchuck

That would be asking to much though.

Reply to
Mustangbrad

I agree, that makes no sense, but at least now I understand what happened to my car. So what you are telling me is that if they did everything according to procedure I ought to have two reasonably reliable windows now. That is good news.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel