minor hacked dash repair

When I bought my oval a few years ago, the blockoff plate area had been cut to accomodate some radio (that was no longer in the car). While a blockoff plate barely covered the width of the cut out, the problem was that there were larger jagged holes cut for the knobs so I couldn't just stick a block off plate over it. Last year I found a piece of metal at Home Depot and thought the easiest thing to do would be to cut a small rectangular piece to put in the trunk area. Well, that didn't work as I couldn't secure it well enough - although I was lucky enough to align the holes for the plate well enough to cover the offending area. This summer I finally got the idea to simply cut two pieces to fill in the knob holes. I hacked out the area from the blank I used last summer and used some JB Weld to secure. What do you know it worked! I lucked out in that the sheet from Home Depot is the same thickness as the bug dash. Even looking in the trunk area it looks ok. One of the pieces is a little out of line - I had to use duct tape to secure it while letting the JB Weld set & I guess it slipped a little. But with paint, you really don't notice it unless you are looking for it. Anyway, no more hacked up looking dash. - DB

Reply to
DB