Heater info -- Espar Products

A colleague here is looking at purchasing a Beetle for daily use, and one that he's found is rather sharp, but has no heater boxes. I had mentioned the venerable Eberspacher BN2. In searching for one on eBay, he found someone selling an Espar AirTronic D2 cab space heater designed for over-the-road truck cabs.

A quick look at the manufacturer's website reveals some interesting points that I have not seen previously discussed here. If I am repeating old info, I apologize.

Jim O'Malley --

------------- Quoted from

Thank you for your interest in Eberspacher heaters. Please allow us to give you a short history of the Volkswagen heater. Eberspacher (Germany) was the direct supplier of cabin heaters to Volkswagens with air-cooled engines through the 1960's and 1970's. These heaters were the BN2 and BN4 models. Volkswagen was responsible for servicing the heaters. The introduction of the water-cooled engine eliminated the need for auxiliary heaters in the mid-1970's.

Espar Products Inc. (Eberspacher, North America) was established in

1973. Espar was not involved with the sale or service of BN2 or BN4 heaters in any way. The Espar technical service department has very limited knowledge of VW heaters and is not able to offer any troubleshooting advise. Also, original spare parts are not available. Espar Products Inc. is able to send photocopies of the original BN2 or BN4 manuals. Please remit your complete mailing address with any manual requests.

There are shops throughout North America that may be able to help to you. Please ask your local Volkswagen dealer, search the Internet, or check with other VW enthusiasts for shops that repair or rebuild Eberspacher BN2 or BN4 heaters. [Ed. note: been there, discussed that, threw away the t-shirt. jo]

You may be interested in replacing your heater with a modern, more efficient and technically advanced model. The heaters best suited to replace BN2 and BN4 heaters are the B1LC compact and B3LC compact, respectively. [Ed. note: B-series are gas-fired counterparts to their main-line D1LC & D3LC diesel-fired heaters. jo]

Follow the link posted above for more information. Espar is a Canadian company:

Espar Heater Systems

6435 Kestrel Rd. Mississauga, Ontario L5T 1Z8 Tel: 905-670-0960 Fax: 905-670-0728 Toll-free Canada: (800) 668-5676 U.S. (800) 387-4800
Reply to
VWFilms

I bought one of those heaters for my bus several years ago. In outside temps in the teens (Fahrenheit) that heater would have it 100 degrees inside at the rate of about a teaspoon of fuel an hour! I got a deal on a diesel one. Normally they were about $2500. -BaH

Reply to
Busahaulic