Help Jeeded, 92 Jetta Diesel Head

Ramva, Sorry for the cross post but I know that there are a few watercoolers here. I am helping a friend that has overheated his 92 Jetta Diesel. How do you remove Head? By removing either the timing belt cover (Backing plate), Cam gear, Fuel pump assembly???? That cover is a PITA and I'm totally unfamiliar with watercooled VW's. I need a answer no later than monday evening PST Please. Either Direct email or post. Thanks all, Nor-Cal Dave.

Reply to
<norcalvw

watercoolers

Remove the cam gear. Note that it's not keyed. Make sure you have a good grasp on how to time the cam and pump with the crank shaft. If you make one mistake it will bend valves. So when you put it all back togeather turn it over by hand and make sure it's free for at least two revolutions. There's two screws holding the plate to the head, one front, one rear. Don't disturb the pump. Regarding timing the cam. With the plastic plug, both pieces, out of the bell housing, line up the timing mark with the pointer. Then take a look at the rear of the camshaft. There's a slot in it that will be lined up with the head surface. Also note a round hole in the pump pulley, a deep socket, around 3/8" as I recall will fit in and hold the pump in time. Also get new head bolts and read and follow the tightening proceedure.

Joe

That cover is a PITA and I'm totally unfamiliar with watercooled VW's.

Reply to
Joe R

Reply to
<norcalvw

Dave.

To remove the cam sproket, remove the bolt then from the inside or driver's side, using a flat punch placed on the center of the hub give it one good smack and it will pop off.

Joe

Reply to
Joe R

Reply to